1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bluetooth in addition to or in lieu of aux in.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nutdog, Apr 12, 2014.

1. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I think bass amp manufacturers should consider this. One less cable for practice.

That is all.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Bluetooth looses some of the data when compressed for transmission. What is called a lossy format. Some people find that the quality is good enough. It depends on the application. There are other ways to do it though that aren't lossy so it can be done.

3. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I'm usually playing along with mp3s or youtube vids from ipod or computer, which is already compressed. I'm thinking it would be adequate. My parents have a little bluetooth speaker they use at home with an ipad and it's quite good.

If it could receive audio from a device and then transmit the blended signal back to bluetooth headphones that would be even better.

4. beans-on-toast

There are bluetooth to audio adapters that are pretty inexpensive. Might be worth a try.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

isn't there a bunch of latency with bluetooth? OK for listening to lo-fi backing tracks, not so much for playing through.

7. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I suppose the latency could affect the out if it was significant but not the input. Fidelity for practice isn't a huge consideration.

The adapters mean more stuff and batteries to charge. Built in would be less trouble. Right now I'm running a cable from the laptop to the practice amp and a headphone cable back to me. Toss in the bass cable and computer power cable and things can get tangled.

I've seen it in mini PA boxes like this https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....3&ei=8NRKU-eeK6qksQSJxYCIAg&ved=0CLMBEKYrMAE

[​IMG]

8. beans-on-toast

A basic bluetooth to audio out can be bought for around $50.

They have something for guitar amps that is much more.

This looks interesting:

9. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I would support this option

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

11. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I have this device and it delivers rather mixed results. There is far too much skipping for me. Others seem to have better success with it than I do.

Not particularly but even if there was it doesn't matter much when the sound is delivered consistently. As I mentioned, the device I have skips enough to be annoying. Both of my vehicles have bluetooth connectivity that I use a lot and they have about two seconds of buffering built in so they never skip. Even with that delay, they could be useful to play along with because the sound is consistent.

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1

It's an amp that I would skip over for sure. One more thing to break that I don't need in the first place.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

When I rehearse i used my computer as the music source through its amplifier / speaker system. My amp is only for my bass. If I want silent practice I use a Tascam CD Bass Trainer only as a headphone driver.

Adding Bluetooth to a musical instrument amplifier is just more stuff that is not required for the amps primary function. More stuff to go wrong as I see it.

14. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I use a roland bass cube. It has a drum machine, effects, models, comp, aux in. Plenty of things to break already. Bluetooth is in many devices that take more abuse than a typical bass amp. Seems to be reliable. At least in all the phones, mp3 players, computers, headsets and keyboards I've used I've never seen it fail. Not like it would render the amp useless if it did.