1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bluetooth transmitter for headphone amp - any good results?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Worldeeeter, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

I got a set of Sennheiser RS120 RF wireless headphones for Xmas, for use with my Cafe Walter HA-1A headphone amp. This was not good. Anything below A was distorted and boomy, and I could not use my mp3 to play along with a song through these headphones; they couldn't process the sound. Upon asking Walter (from Cafe Walter - he's an amazing electrical engineer) about this, I learned that the RS120s transmit almost identically to a cordless phone (think: sound quality). So, back they went.
    Since then, I have been reading up on Bluetooth transmitters. My headphone amp has a 1/8" jack, and I have a great set of Bluetooth earbuds (JayBird BlueBudsX). However, everything I have read points to a delay in sound transmission. According to what I have read, the least delay possible is 120ms, as this is how long it takes for the amp to process the sound, send it to the transmitter, and then to the headphones. While this doesn't seem like much, if I am playing, and I am hearing the sound 1/8 of a second later, that is a noticeable delay.
    I think that I am relegated to purchasing a nice set of studio headphones with a long cord, as mobility was the reason I started looking at wireless to begin with.
    Does anyone have experience using a Bluetooth transmitter with a bass headphone amp? If so, tell your story. I want to make an educated decision, to minimize/avoid additional product returns.
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Skip bluetooth. We'll be reading for years about people who tried "wireless" and it wasn't good enough for them. Only they tried bluetooth for the wrong application. All those bluetooth headphones and "Jam box" speakers are not meant for interactive Musical Instrument type use.

For MI use, Look for low latency wireless audio. Kleernet for consumer stuff is fast low latency.

Pro wireless, like Digital wireless, from LIne-6, Yamaha, Sony, Pro mic makers, are your best bet.
    Wi Digital Audiolink is pretty good value wise.
  3. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. This is for home (practice) use only, so I'm sticking with the corded headphones.
  4. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

In my industry (avionics), a pilot prefers a maximum delay of 5 msec between his voice (microphone) and his sidetone (his voice he hears echoed in his headphones). When pushed they will accept higher but prefer no more than 5 msec.
  5. R Baer

R Baer Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    Bluetooth is simply not a great format for audio. It's getting better, but for the most part, it's still crap. Convenient crap… but still crap.