1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Blurred/covered serials on instruments for sale...why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KablesP, Mar 6, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

Why do some people blur or cover out part of the serial number when posting pictures of an instrument for sale. I mean, it seems easy enough to google legitimate serial numbers for anything so why do people do this?

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

People do it for 2 reasons:

1. To avoid counterfeiting. Supposedly some would use your serial number to build a replica and sell as legit.

2. To avoid the bass being ID'd as a stolen instrument.

I used to mask the serial numbers in the 90's, but I got tired of doing it. Seems pointless now.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. When I do it's due to all the scams that are currently out there; the less information you provide publicly the less information someone can use to screw with you.

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

I black out my SNs so that other people don't open some sort of claim saying they had an instrument stolen & then IDing mine as the instrument.

That said, I also keep a list of ALL my SNs so I can ID them when stolen.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrTaff

MrTaff

I do it for the same reason, it only takes 30 seconds to black out the SN so it's not a big deal.

7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

People will rip your photos and use them for a phony sale.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

With my crappy camera on my phone, hiding the serial number is not a problem at all- picture is too blurry to make it out.
    I don't like providing the serial # unless asked specifically by a potential buyer, for much of the reasons already mentioned. Also if you registered your product, one may have the ability to call the manufacturer and get your name and address based on the serial number.

9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

+1

It does not benefit anyone (in a positive way) to know your SNs and it does benefits you to keep them off the internet. Done.