Bob Daisley Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lesfunk, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    Let's hear it for one of Rocks greatest well kept secrets.
    The great Bob Daisley!
  2. StringThing

StringThing

I listened to goodbye to romance today. His playing was alway appropriately adventurous and melodic. As a teenager he was on of my favorites. Having a Randy freak for a guitarist didn't hurt either.
  3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

His playing on Rainbow's Long Live Rock & Roll album is great too.

"Kill The King" or "Gates Of Babylon" anyone?
    (Though I heard a rumor that Blackmore played some bass on that LP...)

Plus he supposedly wrote a lot of the lyrics for the early Ozzy LPs.....it's a crime that shrew Sharon Osbourne removed him & Lee Kerslake from the recordings because she's too cheap to pay them.
  4. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Is that true? :confused:

Once you're on the recording, how can you "remove them"? Haven't they already been paid, or received credit for their work on the album?

If this was done after the fact...to avoid residuals...I am sure that Bob and Lee would have a good case to sue them for cutting them out of their royalties, if any were promised. You have to remember that back in the day, royalties were not always part of the deal.
  5. loendmaestro

I think there are currently some lawsuits in motion. I have no idea what the original contracts were like, but I think it's just flat out wrong to alter classic albums like that.

Check out the most recent versions on Blizzard & Diary, Mike Bordin is now on drums & it's either Trujillo or Inez on bass (i forget which.)
    (There's always been that debate regarding who played on Dairy originally Daisley/Kerslake or Sarzo/Aldridge, but I think it's the former.)

It's all about money - I think Daisley wanted his due & Osbourne Inc didn't want to pay.

Sharon's awful. Why do you think Dio fronted Sabbath has to tour as "Heaven & Hell'?!

Sorry to hijack this thread...I just really dig Daisley & it's a sore subject for me.
  6. loendmaestro

7. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

Big fan of Daisley's work on the first two Ozzy records as well.

BTW... if you're unfortunate enough to own any of the "re-released" versions of those recordings, listen closely to the bass - It's Out Of Tune. :mad:
  8. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

There is no doubt about that! The re-recorded versions do not have the same feel. It is awful to redo the tracks and mess up 2 classic albums!

It was a Daisley-Kerslake rhythm section on on the original Diary and Blizzard recordings which I think is awesome..

Also, it was Bordin,Trujillo on the re-recorded versions of the 2 albums. I guess Bordin,Trujillo got paid and to heck with the magic of the original lineup! :(
  9. UPTHE1RON5

UPTHE1RON5

bob daisley is in my top few influences. like the original poster said, hes one of rocks best kept secrets. his playing on the first two albums is great. his fills are awesome in 'i don't know' are awesome
  10. DanoesqBass

DanoesqBass Bass For Life Supporting Member

Luved him in the early Rainbow days, and then in like 86 or 87 saw him with Gary Moore on the Over the Hills tour, twice, what a great solid rock bass, for sure a big plus to a great show!
  11. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Try nearly all of them. I think one of the two or three lyrics Ozzy wrote on those albums was "Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker", while Bob wrote the rest of Suicide Solution. Bob was OK with that, after all Geezer wrote the majority of Sabbath's lyrics and they split credits evenly four ways; originally they were to be a rock band (a little like Sabbath) called Blizzard of Oz, and Ozzy and Sharon have since dedicated much of their attention to downplaying Bob and Lee.
  12. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    Daisley and Kerslake got screwed out of a lot of performance royalties by the Ardens Don and Sharon (Osborne). I believe Bob lost his case against Ozzy and Sharon, which is a shame.
    Bob,however, continued to write and record for Ozzy right up thru "No More Tears".
    I am not sure if he still gets his payments for those albums or he took a flat fee for his services.
  13. Falkner

Falkner

I hope this thread isn't quite too old for me to bump, but Bob needs some more love :bag:

He's the guy responsible for me buying my first bass. I remember going home with my first bass and learning No More Tears and Crazy Train right away. I grew up listening to Blizzard and Diary and always loved the bass lines on those albums, especially that EB3 tone on Blizzard. Bob's a nice guy too; a few months ago he mailed me his autograph. He really seems to appreciate his fans and always replies to messages on his site.

As far as I know he only played bass on Kill The King, Gates Of Babylon and LA Connection. The other bass was done by Blackmore before Bob joined.
  14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

I love his playing on the Ozzy albums. Every time I play Crazy Train (which is every gig) I think about how great the bass line is. He managed to put a melodic bass line into a heavy song and make it sound awesome. And different. The line during the verse riff is in A major, when most people would have played A minor pentatonic.
  15. gweimer

gweimer

He wrote the best song on the Widowmaker album with Ariel Bender.
  16. nomorethanfour

nomorethanfour

I believe he also played on Ozzy's Bark at the Moon which, to me, was the last good Ozzy album. His playing on that record is, as always, solid and melodic.
  17. The Owl

The Owl

Crazy Train has got to be one of the COOLEST hard rock/metal bass parts of all time! Bob hit the goldmine there. Sharon should really be ashamed of herself for having Bob and Lee erased from the tracks. Gotta love revisionist history, puts her in good company, like Stalin for instance.
  18. Falkner

Falkner

Agreed. The re-recordings of the bass and drums sounds god awful on the latest "remasters". Such classic songs ruined. :rollno:
  19. Falkner

Falkner

Yes, he played on that one as well. I think the only album up until No More Tears that he didn't play on was Ultimate Sin. I think that one was Phil Soussan.

Bark At The Moon is a great bassline as well. I also find that Center Of Eternity is quite fun to play. :bassist:
  20. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

How do you not love the bassline to No More Tears or Mama I'm Coming Home!
    Just awesome.