bobby dyson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by neslofalo, Mar 26, 2008.

1. neslofalo

neslofalo

i really like to listen to bobby dyson play coat of many colors with dolly parton and i´d like to get some information about him and what other songs he played on.as i understand he was a session player in nashville,so it should be possible to hear some more of his beautiful playing.would also like to get tips of other players who played that style good.i think chris etheridge from the burritos is a more rocky version and also like him.so more of that

2. neslofalo

neslofalo

nobody even heard of him?

3. keith rosier

keith rosier Supporting Member

Bobby Dyson, who passed in '96 was originally from Dalhart, Texas and then moved to Nashville. He played bass on Jerry Reid's , "You got the Goldmine, I got the Shaft", Amos Moses", Dolly's "Jolene", "Coat of Many Colors", Jessi Colter's "I'm not Lisa", and hits for Porter Wagoner, Waylon Jennings, Mickey Gilley, Kris Kristoferson, and others. You can currently see Bobby play bass and bandlead on the last years of the Porter Wagoner TV show which now shows weekly on the RFD TV channel on direct TV . He played a flatwound strung early Jazz bass with a thumbpick, and sometimes his fingers. His daughters myspace is http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=193216940

4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

Used to see him on local tv here in the old days. He played an early Fender 5 string with the high C.

Ike

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bj2104

bj2104

Bobby Dyson is my uncle. I live in Dalhart Texas.

bj2104

7. keith rosier

keith rosier Supporting Member

Hi,
    Dalhart is close to the small town of White Deer, Texas where I lived until I left at age 19 to play music in LA.

Best,
    Keith Rosier

8. mc505

mc505

Love his work on Porter Wagoner's "Comes And Goes" as well. One of the most interesting country players I know of.

9. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

I did quite a few gigs with his daughter in bands based in Amarillo in the 70's.

10. bassistchild08

bassistchild08

You must be talking about my sister . I'm the other one,,LOL! I wonder if we have met? I have been in the biz for many years myself. Sis and I did some studio work with Dad,waaay back in the 70's!

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dyson? All his work sucks! :p

[​IMG]

(Just a gag, no offense at all intended to Bobby Dyson or his kids.) :)

12. bassistchild08

bassistchild08

I copied this from my sisters myspace,,so,,here ya go!
    . My father loved Jazz, but made his living traveling in bands all over, playing Western Swing and Country, or as they said in those days, Western Swing and Country! The two were not linked as they are today. He eventually made his living apart from us in Nashville, TN as one of the "SUPER PICKERS" of the Nashville studio scene. He played bass on over 400 number "1" country records. My father, Bobby Dyson, was the father from afar, whom I knew through the Hit Songs he played on, such as: Jolene-Dolly Parton, Poke Salad Annie- Tony Joe White, When your Hot your Hot- Jerry Reed, I'm not Lisa- Jesse Coulter, King of the Road- Roger Miller ( He sang backup with Roger). The list is long and I could go on and on, he played on all of Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton records, Mickey Gilley, and of course countless custom sessions. He passed in 1996 but his bass lives on in his legacy.

13. bassistchild08

bassistchild08

No prob. We get that all the time. Wish we had their money! LOL! Rich little "Suckers"!!! LOL!

14. 10cc

10cc

Do you know if it was Bobby Dyson playing bass on "Big D" from Waylon's Cedartown Georgia album. That bass line is so great.