body end truss rod protector?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spc, Feb 18, 2014.

1. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Anyone know what the little plastic scoop is called that covers the truss rod access at the body?

2. Opening. Access hole. Cutout. Thing.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Plastic truss rod scoop

4. megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Truss rod cover

Had to buy one for my les paul once.

5. Sponsored by:

6. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

Not that end of the truss rod, the part that protects the body end-looks like a little plastic scoop...
  7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    For more serious replies, more info would be the way to go. Pictures always work the best (hint, hint). Make/model of what we're talking about would help as well.
  8. Megafiddle is correct. Even at the body, it is called a truss rod cover.
  9. On a Fender style, it is a plastic tube, cut at an angle to blend with the headstock. It is strictly to finish off the ugly hole.
  10. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    It's the ULHD (Ugly Little Hole Disguise) more commonly known as "Oriface Camo".
  11. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  12. Nice bass!

It's a "hole" or "access hole" or "access cutout". The plastic insert is an "insert", or maybe a "sleeve" or "liner" if the maker was creative.
  13. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    He's talking about this

14. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Some basses have what maurilio shows, some don't. Laklands don't. And I don't know of a stock part that would fit the Lakland. I guess you would call it a truss rod access hole protector. There are some makers that cover the hole with a plate. Like Alembic:

So if the access hole bothers you, just buy and Alembic. You'll get a great bass with that cover plate!