1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Body Glue Up Ideas..??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LightGroove, Mar 6, 2014.

1. LightGroove

LightGroove

Sorry for the weird title..couldnt think of another way to write it.

I was gifted some African Mahogany a few years ago for helping a friend cut some trees down. These were left over lumber from a door project. They each measure 4-4.5"" wide x 2" thick x 21" long. My delimma. The largest "center piece" was about 6" wide however has "tongue and groove" routing on the edges. After I rip the tongue and groove off we're closer to 5" or so. I did think about cutting tongue and groove edges on the 2 other pieces but not sure how that would look.

The body will be 3 pieces total. I wanted to start with about 15" in width and therefore do not have enough to get there. Would it be "tacky" to locate strips of another lumber to act as stringers in the body to get me the extra width? This will be a bolt on so dont have the option of neck stringers through the body. Are there any other suggestions outside of finding wider lumber that may look nice. I realize this is my project and can do whatever but looking for educated opinions :D

2. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Player/Builder/Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    works just fine on the old Smith CR model basses

[​IMG]

R

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Its a pretty standard thing to do on neck thru basses, even when you're not lacking on board width - just for aesthetics. This was mine.
    [​IMG]

So if it's done on a neck-thru, why not on a bolt-on, like Smith?

4. Big B.

Big B.

I did that on this 8 string guitar because the owner wanted something "different".

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LightGroove

LightGroove

Very nice fellas...def. gives me something to go on. I appreciate the feedback. Still debating if I should cut some tongue and groove slots in my wings and call it a day. Were only talking a inch or so that I can prob live with.

7. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

It is a very common thing to do.

8. LightGroove

LightGroove

Luthier..do you have any pics? Would love to see more options.. On a bolt on it doesnt seem very common to me and why I asked.

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

From an 'bay ad:

Attached Files:

10. KBeamon

KBeamon

Interesting that you should ask this question now. I am in process of building a laminated body for a 1992 Modulus Quantum 5 string Bass neck I just found. (I had been looking for the neck for a decade! I overpaid for it, but I did not want to take a chance on loosing it!!) The center section of the body is nine pieces including rock maple, African Mahogany, and Walnut. The wings are five pieces, the center is maple, then two layers of Walnut, and the front and back are two sets of AAAAA book-matched quilted maple, both sets coming from the same original tree. It is all glued up now, and just this evening I completed routing in the neck and pickup areas. Go ahead, use your creativity and use up some of those smaller pieces of fine hardwood.

11. LightGroove

LightGroove

SWEET! Thanks for the encouragement. Just won a planer on the bay that I pick up this weekend. Hoping to snag a jointer and hit it full speed in the next week or so. :bassist: