Body sealant?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MediaJones, Dec 31, 2012.

1. MediaJones

MediaJones

Hey all,
    Found a beautiful 2006 Am Standard body in butterscotch blonde , unfortunately, someone decided to spray paint it black. I managed to sand off all of the black paint, however, I also sanded off the sealant in the process. How would I go about sealing this bass? Ill put up picture later today so you guys can tell me what my best route is in terms of maintaining its color.
    Thanks dudes,
    J.J.

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Go to the hardware store and get some sanding sealer.

3. MediaJones

MediaJones

And thats legit? Its not going to affect how the wood "breathes"? I figured they would be using something a little more delicate, but than again, the original Fenders were painted with car paint... Does the body need to be sealed? Will it be alright if it gets sweat on it and its not sealed?

4. J.D.B.

J.D.B.

Sanding sealer is lacquer with some solids mixed in. Apply, sand the raised grain, apply again, sand the raised grain, maybe three or four times should do it nicely. Unfinished wood deteriorates and looks like hell as it soaks up all that sweat and dirt. Are you going to color it?
    96tbird has it.

Josh

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Delicate? Breathe? Sanding sealer is used in fine furniture. A bass body is little more than furniture.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You may want to read up on finishing. There was more under the spray paint than sealer...and it's not clear whether you just sanded through the paint in a few small spots, or in a substantial area.

You don't NEED to do anything if there are just a few spots. IMO it looks bad, but many people consider it "vintage look" to have bare wood. Leaving the wood bare doesn't hurt anything.

If you're down to bare wood in a substantial area, IMO you should plan on doing a refinish, and before you seal the wood you'll want to take apart the bass and get the whole body ready to refin.