1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

??Body Wood Comparison??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MatrikzDaClown, Nov 8, 2012.

1. MatrikzDaClown

MatrikzDaClown

I'm looking to piece a bass together. Tired of struggling to find one that fits me from a factory when that is virtually impossible without paying close to $5,000.

I love the sound of warwicks with the bubinga body. However, it seems to be virtually impossible to find a bubinga body anywhere. I can find necks all day long,(which is what I'm going with, with a wenge fingerboard), but I can't find a body. So, my next option is to find one that is similar in tone. I've looked at several different websites showing gauges and things comparing certain woods together. I've been leaning more towards walnut since it was gauged the same, but does anyone have experience using a walnut bodied bass? And if so, how does it sound in comparison to a bubinga body, or just how does it sound in general?
  2. Wallace320

Wallace320

That's why one (bubinga) made it to guitar bodies, the other (walnut) made it to furnitures
    Woods equally adopted (instruments and furnitures) are maple and "koto", an african rainy forest kinda "tek" wood.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  3. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

I believe Warmoth offers bubinga for bodies.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

I had a Warwick Thumb Bass Bolt-On with a wenge neck and fingerboard and a walnut body. It sounded like a Warwick.
  5. Bobster

Bobster

6. MatrikzDaClown

MatrikzDaClown

Like Bobster said, warmoth doesn't offer a straight Bubinga body. But they do say in multiple places to call and that they will try to fit all needs to said player. Price is what scares me about that. I've also thought numerous times about the laminate bubinga top on the walnut body, but there are 2 things that pull me from that idea now that I've heard some replies.

1. - Warmoth has a disclaimer on their website stating that if the builder working on your piece feels the wood is incapable of being good enough, they can pull it and you still get charged for it.
    2. - I don't know how it will look with the all wood look, with a walnut body, bubinga laminate and fretboard, and wenge fingerboard. 3 different woods with different grains and colors thrown together in pieces could look very strange. Which could be good or bad. Just not sure.

Thanks for everyone's help. When I get this thing done, I'll post some pics and my opinions on everything.