BOGART BASS??? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rapisme, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

DOES anyone own or have any Bogart bass parts,. I know they're produce in Germany and I've tried to contact them several times only to have my e-mails fall on deaf eyes, no pun intended.
    Any distributors here in the states? Any information would be helpful.
  2. Rapisme

3. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Let me guess....You sheared off one of the string locks?

I have a 5 string Bogart in Zebrawood and that's what happened to me. After waiting and waiting for a reply from Bogart and getting nothing (besides their automated "Our English version of the site will be up soon. Please be patient" reply), I decided to make my own. It took me a while and it was a pain the butt to find the metric taps and die, but I did it.

Now here's where my stupidity really shines. I got a brand new set of strings, cut my little makeshift string ferrules out of copper (to slide over the EADG strings so they don't break when the string locks pinch them), and strung it up. I somehow managed to break yet another string lock by over-tightening it. Not wanting to spend all the time to make another string lock, I decided to try the emails to Bogart again...

...After I got a little nasty with them, they finally got back to me and said they sent me a few extras to my address. Weeks went by and I never got them. They don't reply to my emails any more. So, my Bogart has now been unplayable for about 1.5 years!

Let me know what has become of your Bogart.

Thanks

Dan
  4. MoonDoggy

Any word Rapisme???
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jacochops

jacochops

Call Uwe at Salwender International. I think they're in Orange, CA...he should be able to help you guys...
    Good luck!
  7. MoonDoggy

BUMP for some help on getting new string locks.

I gave Salwender a call a while ago. He couldn't help me because they no longer carry Bogart. I just emailed Bogart again and they said the English version of the site will be availble soon. So will their new line of basses. Basically, it's the same story they've been dishing out for about 2 years!

Does anybody on TB speak German or better yet, live in Germany? I'd be willing to pay some money to whoever can score me a couple of these Bogart String Locks. I'll pay for the parts, the shipping, and your time.

Thanks

Dan
  8. MoonDoggy

I had Andreas Pichler give Bogart a call for me since he is currently over in Austria. He said he had no luck on getting spare string locks. He couldn't even get through after trying multiple times. He says he thinks they have gone under, but according to what little responses Bogart has given me, they are in the process of revamping and attempting to release new models.

Andreas also recommended Salwender, but again, I had already tried them with no luck.

I really want about 3 of the String Lock Shafts (male thread at one end to go into the headstock and a smaller female thread at the other end for the screw that holds the button on) and 3 brass ferrules that these string locks thread into which are seated into the headstock. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE PURCHASED A NEW BOGART BASS OR AT LEAST OWN ONE???

Thanks

Dan
  9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Free bump for ya. I really dig the look of that bass via the link in your signature. I always loved the bogarts looks, just never see em for sale to snag one.
  10. MoonDoggy

I heard they may have (hopefully temproarily) stopped production. I've heard it's so they can re-tool and overhaul production for their new line of basses, but I have a bad feeling it's because of financial issues and no one seems to know why they seem to have dissappeared off the face of the earth!!!
  11. Midas

Midas

Disclosures:
    Endorsed by Tecamp and Lefay basses
  12. kevin newsham

kevin newsham

Looks like Bogart may be back, according to another entry elsewhere. I was thinking I might have to sell my Bogart 5 fretless just to get you guys some parts. lol. I still love this bass, just getting ready to put a Demeter pre in to update the sound a little. about 3 years ago I got new string retainer parts from Saliwender, but they were almost out then.
  13. kevin newsham

kevin newsham

been to the Bogart site, nice basses. No contact or reply since requesting info about parts for the older Bogarts, a couple of months ago. Not sure if he is too busy to reply, folded again, or ignoring the previous Bogarts. Think I will just swap the neck for a Moses with a Steinberger headpiece, so I don't have to bother with the Bogart nightmare anymore. Love the bass, hate having to deal with Bogart.
  14. MoonDoggy

It's funny that this thread popped up again. Just a few days ago, I got my replacement Bogart string locks in the mail. They sent them to me from Europe for free! I asked for 2 string lock shafts and 2 ferrules. They sent me 5 shafts, 5 ferrules, and 5 buttons. It took me almost 2 years of emailing about a dozen times, and fighting (kinda) with them after they said they had sent me a few for free already. I never received them the first time.

When all was said and done, they pulled through for me. It took a LOT of patience, but I will hopefully have a fully functional Bogart bass again. When they work, they are phenomenal. Mine (and I'd imagine most of them do) has a wafer thin neck with not truss rod. And it can achieve uber-low action w/ zero buzz.

I wouldn't give up on Bogart yet.
  15. kevin newsham

kevin newsham

Well, 2 years of waiting? Bet if I wanted a new bass right now I would get a response. That's not in the cards right now

Hell, I would and want to pay for my parts, not looking for a gimme. I bought my Bogart used from a retailer, and have no idea what you guys are talking about with the ferrels. I would like to find out, as well as if the fretless has/ had a zero fret. right now all I have is a brass string guide that has no intonatable area. I am amazed that it intonates at all, but I am not sure it is as it was designed to be.

Anybody know?:confused:
  16. kevin newsham

kevin newsham

I am happy to hear that, thankyou. Guess I will drop him email #20 or so. I really love my bass, just want to be able to take care of it, as it deserves. Thanks again.
  17. MoonDoggy

I should have mentioned that I did pay $15 for shipping.

To clear up any confusion, here's a pic to illustrate the troubles I had. I sheared off a shaft by over-tightening it. I also had the trouble of breaking strings by over-tightening and pinching them. I solved the problem by cutting sleeves of copper tubing and allowing that to act as a bugger between the string lock shaft and the string. It worked great.

[​IMG]

Bogart also informed me that mine is an earlier model and was actually built in the US by Uwe Salwender. I knew Salwender was a US distributor, but apparently, also responsible for building/assembly!
  18. kevin newsham

kevin newsham

Yours has a zero fret, any info on that? The copper is a good idea.
  19. MoonDoggy

I don't have any info on it. The string guide after the zero fret on mine had some chips, so I sanded it down to brass and repainted it. But other than that, no issues.

From what I remember (it's been probably 3 years since I had this bass operational), this bass had amazing action- super low w/ no buzz, and the neck doesn't even have a truss rod. The neck was as well built as a Status I had.
  20. Rapisme

Update Stefan finally sent me a bridge.. not the Steinberger style used before but the new satin black one. Also the style of the neck has change offered me a B stock but i pass i'll keep the scroll neck on this bogart bass body...

Anybody have pic's of there bogarts???

That might be a fun thread!!!
  21. MoonDoggy

This is the Bogart that I had. It played and sounded absolutely amazing. It was a slappers' dream!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the electronics were VERY well done:

[​IMG]

I sold that bass to help fund this bass:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The story behind this one-off Bogart is that it was made as a gift for Tony Levin. He had contractual obligations with MusicMan, so he was unable to accept the bass. So it ended up being a giveaway bass in Bass Frontier Magazine in the 90s. The body is a synthetic material. (Someone said it was like bowling ball material, but I don't believe it is.) Tony autographed it, but I also think that has since worn off.

I don't have this bass in my possession yet, but I hope to soon!!