Bogart basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sgl, Sep 18, 2011.

1. sgl

sgl

Hi y'all
    I'm thinking about buying this bass, early '90s bogart with carbon fiber (graphite) neck and blackstone body. There isn't much about these basses on the internet- durability, build quality etc, and no videos on youtube that I can find. Can anyone who owns\used to own one of these share some thoughts about it? Sound samples and videos will be terriffic.
    And another thing, the bass is sold for about 1800$, does that sound like a reasonable price?
    Thanks!
  2. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Are you in the U.S.?

If so, that price strikes me as high. Bogart basses do not have the same wide appeal and brand recognition as say, Zon or Modulus do. Those companies both offer graphite basses, which is why I picked them.

Of course if you're in love with the bass, maybe it's worth that to you. But...If I were concerned about resale, I'd want it to be much less. Also, the early '90s were a long time ago as instruments go.

I can't comment on quality or durability.
  3. sgl

sgl

thanks!
    I'm in Israel, prices here are higher I think. For comparison, the retail on a new american std. jazz bass is 1750$, although you can usually get it for a little less.
    besides fender, MM, and maybe warwick there are almost no basses here with a wide appeal and brand recognition at all. graphite basses are quite rare.
    I'm also thinking about trading this bogart for my Pedulla rapture (5 strings, 2005). I simply don't like its sound, but am I downgrading my guitar, in market worth?
  4. sgl

sgl

Any more opinions?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

They're very rare in this neck of the woods, so I wouldn't expect many opinions on this one.
  7. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I remember trying one of these over at davidjbass's place back in the 90's so maybe he'll chime in. I was *very* impressed with it; in fact, I've still got my radar out in case one comes along.

/rick
  8. iuserneim

iuserneim

It may be too late, but i can tell you, Bogart basses are the best. Now, this is an objective opition, but they really are on top !

The neck is very comfortable, but not too small, like on sound gears, the neck is always the way you want it, no matter what temperature or humidity changes or string gauge it goes through.
    It doesn't sound hifi or anything at all. Depends on the pickup configuration, but all sound killer.

If you ever have the chance to play one, do so. Best basses out there.
    Got a 5-string for sale, and got a 4-string that will NEVER leave me....
    :)
  9. iuserneim

iuserneim

uploaded a youtube video for y'all to check it out. sounds great, doesn't it ?
  10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Sgl ... They rock ... The fretless 5 may be the single best bass I've played

Downside .... Hardware --- can't get replacement unsure if the company is still in business
  11. iuserneim

iuserneim

i don't know if the company that manufactured the hardware is still in business, but the company that builds the bogarts still is, and you can ask them about the hardware.

http://www.bogart-bass.de/en.html