1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

bolt on singlecut basses? or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by refuge4, Mar 26, 2009.

1. refuge4

refuge4

i've seriously been considering looking for a singlecut to rock. i've just started looking around and i've seen a lot and i just wanted to get some input. this was the first thing that came up in google...

http://www.veilletteguitars.com/details_singlecut.shtml

looks solid and i like all of the features. but a bolt on? i'm a huge bolt on fan, but w/ a singlecut? anyone have experience with one of these (good or bad)? just curious. i tried to search but the whole short words thing makes it hard. anyways, thanks!
  2. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Yes, first hand experience. I love this 6 string Clement singlecut custom built bass with bolt on neck.
  3. Hoover

Hoover

Check out Clement basses.

Somewhere in my email archives I have a whole list (well, a short list) of singlecut bolt-on basses that I put together when I was trying to convince WattFab to build me a singlecut body for a bolt-on neck I already own. If I can find it I'll dig up that list and post some other suggestions.

But definitely check out Tom Clement's designs.

Edit:
    There ya go, beat me to it!
  4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

I've tried all singlecut approaches: bolt-on, set-neck and neck through. I've tried several luthiers' versions of the SC design. My favorite is the set-neck, but it's truly a subjective matter of taste. The bass on link looks great. If it tickles your fancy, go for it

By the way, my favorite SC is Ken's own (now mine), first ever, Brase I Ken Lawrence bass.
  5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I'd go for it...I'd just make sure that the one you decide on has a well-profiled neck heel if you like playing higher up the neck. Some single-cut bolt-ons are kind of chunky at their heels...
  6. GobBass

GobBass

Some of the nicest Benavente singlecut basses are bolt on.
  7. Tumbao

Tumbao Supporting Member

This is my custom bolt-on bass and yes, he's Luthier Ray from Rbasses.
    My fav singlecut bass ever!!
  8. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

1 name you need to know:

Tom Clement!!!!!
  9. Flintc

Flintc

For most designs, a single cut isn't anything more than some additional wood between the upper bout and the neck. Typically (from what I've read) this doesn't add much weight, affect balance much, stiffen the neck, or indeed do anything other than change the cosmetic appearance of the bass. How the neck is fastened to the body is something entirely different, and irrelevant.
  10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

11. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

What differences of any did you notice between the set-neck and the neck through?

Mike
  12. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

Hi Mike

IME from the SC ones I've so far owned, the set-neck ones have more snap and a faster attack while the neck-throughs had a more even projection.
  13. edubb

edubb

That my set neck Josh Helms SC5 has more sustain than my bolt on basses and is punchier than the two neck throughs I have owned.
  14. allexcosta

allexcosta

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MLaghus Custom Basses
    But not punchier than your bolt-ons, right? Set-necks are really a midway between NT and BO...
  15. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

I like the set neck too, love the KL shape for how it sits when your playing.
  16. PSPookie

PSPookie

Admitedly, I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I like my bolt-on SC just fine :)
  17. refuge4

refuge4

cool. thanks for the input. i guess i should have been a little more specific, i was mostly wondering about the sound difference between bolt on, set neck, and neck thru, which has been answered. i just didn't know if bc there was more neck to body contact in a singlecut if it would make a sound difference despite the way the neck is connected. thanks for your input! feel free to continue!
  18. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

he does some pretty cool does he have a website or anything because i been looking for a long time for a neat single cut:hyper: thanks
  19. etechstan

etechstan

:bag:They look like somebody forgot to finish cutting them from the blank.
  20. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my wife says the same thing.

I like a lot of single cuts though... the one I almost ordered was a bolt neck.