1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Boner Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    I've looked and looked and can't find a Boner Bass Club here on the forum. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a late 80s to early 90s run of American Fender basses (just Jazz basses?) that had 2 extra frets and longer horns - thus the "boner" reference. They were also known as Long Horn basses. Well, I have a boner ... bass and was looking to start a club here. Post pictures of your late 80s early 90s boner basses here.

Below is my 1993 American Fender Standard Jazz bass. I've been the only owner and have played it for all 17 years. The only thing on it that is NOT original is the nut which was replaced around 1996 when the original one cracked at the g-string. It was replaced with a genuine Fender part.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Club So Far:
    Fletz - founder
    GBassNorth #2

bluesdogblues likes this.
  2. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

3. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Oh, great! I'd never heard of these before the OP, but something in me really likes it. Unusual, but still very traditional looking.
    Now I have unfundable GAS. :bawl:
    Terrific.

4. trowaclown

trowaclown

Still looks pristine after all these years, Fletz. I wish I treated my bass better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks, man. I am pretty anal about my guitars. Although, I do like it when they get a few nicks and bruises. There's a couple, but pretty minor.

7. DavidE

DavidE

I have a black one that has dings and dents and a fret board repair. Killer bass, but don't need it. Trying to sell it on Craigslist but no luck yet. If I can get it into someone's hands, they'll fall in love. I just went EBMM and still have two other Jazzes.

8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Hey Fletz - isn't it customary for the person who starts these "club" threads to assign membership numbers to anyone who replies with a pic of their bass? If so, I'll take number 2 in the Boner club (always trying harder I guess). But you probably ought to decline assigning a number 69 in this particular club.

madjazzbass likes this.
  9. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Colors the P-Bass Plus came in:

#06 Black
    #21 Natural
    #32 Brown Sunburst
    #73 Midnight Blue
    #75 Midnight Wine
    #77 Frost Red
    #80 Arctic White
    #90 Blue Pearl Burst
    #91 Black Pearl Burst.

10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    GBass - you are officially #2 in the Boner Bass Club ... Somehow doesn't sound that appealing does it? ;-)

Cool looking color. What year is it?

11. hachi kid

hachi kid

hmmm............:bag: :p

wmhill likes this.
  12. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nice, Hachi...

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    [​IMG]

14. hachi kid

hachi kid

lol. sorry, toilet humor. the 5th grader in me pops up every now and then.

15. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    No sweat man. Very funny.

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Thanks for the number. It's a 1991 that I've had for a couple of years. I bought it as an investment bass for a few hundered dollars in mint condition. It plays great, has some nice switching options and is one of the few PJ's that I've seen. Also LOVE the bridge with the micro adjust tuning, neat feature, wish all my other Fenders had it.

There's a sweet Jazz Plus on eBay right now but I've never seen one with a control layout like this before, so I'm not sure it's a Plus (it might be one of the Japan fenders from that era).
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Jazz-Bas...i-/360326732387?pt=Guitar&hash=item53e5259a63

Dano - Thanks a bunch for the color confirmation. I've contemplated getting a Strat Plus with a matching paint job but never knew what the color was called. Thanks again.

17. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  18. bigou

bigou

19. kevteop

kevteop

Oh I nearly could've joined a club. I had one of these for a while in 1996, I toured it that summer and it pretty much fell apart. We were keeping it going until the neck started twisting, then it had to become "backup bass" and it lived in the case for a while. A few weeks later we had time to work on it so we opened it up and the neck had got so bad we threw it away.

I know it's no reflection on your bass, but it was easily the worst bass I've ever owned. And also the most expensive bass I've ever owned.

20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... just a quick ?? for the longhorn pro's in here ... I dont think I have ever seen just a straight P Longhorn?? ... I see the pic of the P Plus (very nice), but did fender also extend the upper horn on the P basses from this era? thanks

21. dave_p

dave_p

Thats a jazz Plus control layout. They came with kubicki pre-amps and lace sensors. This one must have replaced them with barts. I have the same bass bought new in 93. Im pretty sure mines a 92 because i must have passed it in the store for a year before i bought it.

[​IMG]

I had to pay an extra 100$ for the clear ash.