Bongo nut issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vinnie6, Apr 14, 2014.

1. vinnie6

vinnie6

I put a TI flat B .137 on my Bongo and it was too thick for the nut. It popped the edge of the nut off. See pictures. The string is in no danger of sliding off the nut. It is still in a groove under it, plus it is pulled slightly toward the center.

I found the little piece of plastic that broke off. It can be glued back on to the nut, but obviously the nut would then need to be filed to prevent this from happening again.

Should I just leave it like it is, or do I really need to have a perfect nut?

Attached Files:

2. Bobster

Bobster

If I were you, I'd get in touch w/Ernie Ball today and get a new nut.

They will only sell to current owners, so have your serial number ready! Pretty sure the part is about $8.

Should be a simple matter to tap the old one out and put the new one in. You can lightly tack w/white glue.

All the best

Bob

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I just got a compensated nut for my Ray. The only thing they asked me for was my name, address and credit card number and the model of bass.

4. Bobster

Bobster

That's cool.

Means they've loosed up a bit. When I ordered one, it was the normal EBMM 3rd degree.

Might be good for SBMM owners who want compensated nuts.

All the best,

Bob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vinnie6

vinnie6

Thanks for the replies. I called EB today and they are sending me two new nuts. They are only $4 apiece, and shipping is $7.50, so it makes sense to order two.

My next question is, after installing the new nut, where do I get a file that is .137? I want the slot to be as round as possible for a perfect seat.

A little history FWIW: Curiosity got the best of me and I tried flats. I went with LaBella's. The top four strings ROCK! But the B sounded dead. Couldn't really identify the pitch, and it had no sustain. It could have been a dud string. I chose to replace the B with a TI. A week later the nut broke from the thickness of the string. It looked like the string fit OK in the slot. Obviously it was tight.