1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bongo weak signal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andsard, Feb 6, 2013.

1. andsard

andsard

Hi

I own a Bongo 4HH and i realize that there is a problem. When connecting to PA (thgough DI or not), it delivers a relatively weak signal. Weaker than my Fender P MIM even with the volume knob turned up.

Through the amp i hear it loud enough but when playing live, the soundman always complaining for weak signal.

I have tried new batteries. So what might be the problem?
    A wire loose maybe? And how can i check it?

Thank you in advance
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I very well could be that's just the way it is. There is common misconception that active basses are much louder or send out a stronger signal than passive basses. It's simply not true in all cases. I can tell you that my P basses are stronger than my active basses, and my 18v bass has the weakest signal of them all.

If you find out that is true you can always grab a DI with a level control on it.

Have you checked the pickup height?
  3. andsard

andsard

i have checked the pickup height.

the bass is not quiet. it is pretty loud. but the signal it sends is weak. i cannot explain it...
  4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Sounds like an EQ issue. It's possible that your Bongo is emphasizing a bunch of frequencies that are blending too well with the other instruments.
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Is your DI signal pre or post EQ?
  6. abemo

abemo

Could just be the way it is. I haven't played a bongo, but I know my all passive p is the loudest bass I own, by far. Even if I set my j-style with qp's in series mode (very hot pups with a hot wiring setup), the p blows it out of the water.
  7. djaxup

djaxup

my Bongo was definitely on the loud side, PA/DI or amp. Sounds like a problem with the build in preamp. Does it work like it should? I'd say contact the guys at EBMM, they have great customer service.
  8. andsard

andsard

Thank you all for your help. I'll take an advice from EBMM customer support and hopefully I will find a solution.
  9. wvbass

wvbass

If my bass was fine through my amp and not through the PA, I wouldn't look for a problem with the bass. I'd look closely at what is between the bass and the PA. I'd also look at my soundman a little - some will complain about too low a signal if they have to turn the gain too far too the right and too hot a signal if they have to turn the knob to the left. It is best to work with the soundman to find a solution, but is this just his way of saying he likes your P bass better?