Boogie on Reggae Woman from Bass Player Dec 2007

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Chadwickw, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Chadwickw

Chadwickw Supporting Member

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to find a back issue of the December 2007 BP, which apparently features a great tab of the synth line from BORW for the bass. This issue seems impossible to find so I'm hoping that someone here has one and might be willing to help me out. I'd be happy to pay/trade for a copy of that tab or buy the magazine from you outright.

If you happen to have any idea how I might "properly" purchase a back issue (the BP website is horrible!) that would also be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Hey

That transcription is AWESOME. You need a 5 string though.

The easiest way to get it is to order it from Bass Player - and I agree their website is horrible. If you live in the USA phone them and you'll get through. If you're outside the UK then do it by email - it will take a few days but you'll get there. Their service is actually pretty good once you get through to the right person. Good luck.

3. Shovelbone

Shovelbone

I actually have that issue. I can scan it in and send it to you if you would like. Just let me know!

4. vinny

vinny

IIRC, it was a four string tuned (down a 1/2) to Eb. Excellent transcription & a real bitch to play (for me anyway) accurately.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DyerWolf

DyerWolf

Could you send it to me? My email is in my profile. Would be greatly appreciated.

7. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Hi there,

I know this is a very old post but I'm desperately looking for this very transcription you have. I want to play that bassline soo much but at the moment do not have the time to transcribe it myself.

Would you be so kind and send that transcription to me if you still happen to have it somewhere?

All the best from Berlin!

8. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

I'd love to have that too!

9. dpbass66

dpbass66 Supporting Member

If you read notation Ive transcribed a portion of it (cant remember how much exactly I was in music school). I'd scan it and send it if you'd like, but there is no tab.

It is definitely worth studying for some "finger-funk" bass line ideas....very awesome!

10. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

can't it be done in standard tuning ?

11. dpbass66

dpbass66 Supporting Member

As I recall it depends on how precise you need to be. I play 5 string. I definitely did not change my tuning, I do recall I dropped down and used my B string during the bassline, so if you play 4 string that would require droped tuning OR playing that part of the line up an octave.

Personally, I dont see the point in trying to EXACTLY replicate stuff like this in terms of register (which octave you play the line in). The point should be to get the line under your fingers really well, learn some of the ideas and ultimately get those ideas into your OWN playing, unless you are in a Stevie Wonder cover band. Even with that I'd probably just use an octave down effect. Finally, again my memory may disserve me here, but I think the original was played on keyboards (clavinet?). To me, this makes learning it even more valuable since you are learning bass ideas that dont come from a fretboard. Its a virtual goldmine of unusual patterns and ideas.

12. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

+1 on that one! I have that issue and can send up a copy to anyone still needing it. I just got an EHX Micro Bass and want to try it myself. Checkout Ed Friedland's Micro Bass you-tube review and he rips into that awesome intro. EHX.com | Ed Friedland: Bass Microsynth & Bass Blogger Reviews | Electro-Harmonix

13. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

You don't need a 5 for Boogie On, unless you want to stay basically in one position. The tab I saw that was pretty good started on the Ab on E then moved up, but I use my 5 and play it from Ab on B. What a fun tune!

14. jjclr

jjclr Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    anyone still able to help a fellow bass player out with a scan of the transcription?
    Just got a Bass Micro Synth yesterday, and dialin' in that sweet stevie tone :)
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    (I emailed bass player in case they could hook me up with a back issue, but I'm hoping someone on the forums will help me first)
    Thanks!
    Cheers!

15. Mound of Sound

Mound of Sound Gold Supporting Member

Call 212-330-9092. This is Mike Gordon's hotline. He should be able to help you out. Tell him you want some June 7th Worcester funk.

16. Shovelbone

Shovelbone

I have a scanned copy of the transcription from BP if you want it. SHoot me a PM!

17. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

If you're still offering to scan the "Boogie on Reggae Woman" bass line, I'd really appreciate it :)

18. BilRod

BilRod

I would like that transcription if you're still offering. I've been working on that tune for a band I play in and could really use it!

19. LozzieG74

LozzieG74

Ditto, if you would be so kind!!

20. Mbotis

Mbotis

I'm also looking for the transcription. If anyone can send it my way I would greatly appreciate it. It is an amazing bass part. I've been working on it by ear, and he is playing rhythms that I never would have played in a million years. Obviously, you get a lot more out of trying to figure it out on your own, but at this point, I'd like to see what he's doing on the many riffs that I haven't figured out. It's great stuff!

21. sc58193

sc58193