book of bass riffs : recommendations please!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sjm2357, Apr 6, 2014.

1. sjm2357

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi all,

Anyone know any good books for beginners with lots of bass riffs?

2. mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Bass Styles Made Easy by Chris Matheos $14.95

Quoting Chris Matheos; "The pattern is not that difficult. Playing a pattern in a chord progression takes a bit more skill. Now you are dealing with a moving pattern. Playing with a band takes the most skill. You have to focus on time, feel, and groove, as well as playing the pattern."
    Reason I put that in is; ask yourself how will you groove that riff. Knowing a riff or pattern is first, gotta at least have the pattern into muscle memory - then after that knowing how to use it is next. Locking that in with the drummer is also kinda important.

Bass Grooves by Ed Friedland $19.99 is also full of patterns and anything Ed writes has value.

Quoting Ed; "Most bass lines are constructed from the same elements - roots, 5th, octaves, triads - with varying connecting material such as scalar and chromatic passing tones. The defining factor in a genre is most often its rhythmic content ......"

Basic Reggae riff will/can use the R-3-5 notes. So will a Zydeco riff. And for that matter so will SKA. The rhythm sets them apart. My reason for pointing this out, on my first reading of Ed's Bass Grooves I concentrated on the notes and missed the part about the groove. Play the riff grooving with the drummer. .......... Or a drum track, click track, something.

Have fun.
  4. mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    yes yes yes.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. GreggBummer

Jan 16, 2008
    Exit 4, NJ
    It took me a long time to figure this out on my own. Ed nails it here.
  7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
  8. +1
  9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
  10. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011