1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Book recommendations

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Joshuadriller, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Can anyone suggest a book for a self taught bass player? I've been playing for about 6 years and I feel like I'm caught in a rut. I've learned tidbits of info online, but I feel like I've missed some fundamental information to keep me from progressing.

Thanks!!
  2. THRAK2

THRAK2 Gold Supporting Member

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Ed Friedland's books are awesome. Maybe start with the Bassist's Toolkit.
  4. LordDog

LordDog

+1 for Ed Friedland :)
  5. THRAK2

THRAK2 Gold Supporting Member

Great call. Friedland's books are excellent. Sean Malone's bass theory book is really good as well.
  6. wrench45us

wrench45us

what kind of music do you play?

what kind of music do you want to play?

what do you think is missing from your current playing?

{there are a lot of books out there}
  7. BlackRussian

BlackRussian Padawan Learner Supporting Member

I've been reading Bass Guitar for Dummies and Bass Guitar Exercises for Dummies by Patrick Pfeiffer. Check them out.
  8. rickster4003

rickster4003

I recently picked up Jaco Pastorius bass method which has been fun to read and play.
  9. JimK

JimK

I stay stuck in a rut...

Two(2) books that have helped me in the past-

1>
    Standing In The Shadows Of Motown- Dr. Licks
    (forced to me to up whatever reading chops I had)

2>
    Funkifying The Clave For Drums & Bass by Lincoln Goines/Robbie Ammeen
    See if you can tap a 2-bar Clave with one hand whilst tapping out the Pulse with the other.
    Then see if you drop off a 1/4 note on the 2nd bar (effectively becoming a Bar of 4 + a bar of 3), etc.

Some other things to try-
    Using drum books as a source, try playing kick drum patterns (you supply the note or notes)...then see if you can move the rhythm to the right by an 1/8th note-
    Example-
    Kick pattern (keeping it basic)
    l1---(2)---3-&-(4)-&-l

Displaced by an 1/8th note (moved by an 1/8th note 'to-the-right' within the bar)-
    l(1)-&-(2)---(3)-&-4---l1-&-(2)---(3)-&-4---l etc

As you can see, the 1-bar figure now crosses-the-barline...becoming a 2-bar figure.
    ...then try it with the Snare pattern, etc.