1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Booking question: 3 Phone Numbers on 1 Phone?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JohnnyNelson, Jan 12, 2014.

1. JohnnyNelson

JohnnyNelson

I play for a living and have booked my own band since '05. Now I want to start a 2nd band and also a mobile DJ service. I'd be running all three by myself and I'm looking for a way to receive all the calls on one cell phone without confusing customers or me!

I guess I would need 3 separate phone numbers, each with it's own Caller ID that customers would see. Also with each incoming call I would need someway to identify which business is being called so I could greet customers accordingly without having to ask which business they are calling about.

I've been searching without any luck so far - any ideas would be appreciated...
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Sorry but it doesn't make sense to have 3 phone numbers. I think you are over complicating things by trying to have 3 separate numbers. Why don't you just make sure your contact information includes your name and your current phone number? You can set up your voice mail so that it has your voice just stating your name and instructions to leave a message.
  3. JohnnyNelson

JohnnyNelson

I want to be able to answer calls knowing which group the call is for without asking them which one they are calling about, I think that would confuse people. I'd much rather say "Hi this is Johnny with the Heather Nelson Trio" than something like "Hi this is Johnny, are you calling about band 1,2 or 3"

Any possible solution ideas would be appreciated!
  4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

"Johnny Nelson Booking Agency. How may I help you today?"
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Use one number and act like a booking agency. (Basically what Kmonk said) You really think if you say "Hi this is (other band name)'s phone" they will be too confused to say "I am looking for (band name)?" Using three numbers seems rather complicated and not very cost effective. Also, other than drug dealers, who carries or wants to carry multiple cell phones around?

EDIT: See above post.
  6. JohnnyNelson

JohnnyNelson

derrico & diabolus: That's my fall back option, to be more specific what I'm actually doing is:

1.) Keep on booking my main trio.

2.) Starting a mini-agency with it's own name/web presence that will handle multiple groups.

3.) Also starting a DJ service - separate name/web presence.

I could fall back on voicemail with a menu or greeting phone customers with a brief quiz, but wondering if I could stream 3 numbers into one phone.

And Diabolus: Sergio Marchionne the CEO of Chrysler and other companies, has a bag with 5 cell phones, makes two phones seem quite tame! I might also enjoy the slight secret thug feeling of having two phones, but would prefer one to funnel everything.
  7. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses, GHS Strings
    Google voice
  8. 20db pad

20db pad

9. Toptube

Toptube

Forwarding several numbers to one phone is no big deal. The problem I see here, is knowing which number is being called, when that one phone rings.
  10. millsbass5

millsbass5

Well, you can go the crack dealer route, and have 3 phones.
    Or, does anyone offer a service that says,"You've reached so-and-so. To book with band #1, press 1, for band #2, press 2," etc.?
  11. JohnnyNelson

JohnnyNelson

12. JohnnyNelson

JohnnyNelson

Toptube: How would you go about forwarding several #s to one phone?
  13. the yeti

the yeti

yep.
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep, yep.
  15. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

You might check with your cell carrier. I don't know if they do it, but the old land line companies used to have all kinds of special services for businesses with multiple lines. Maybe the cell carriers offer a service that will work...?
  16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Multiple phone numbers on landlines is very expensive. There are ways to have virtual numbers (vonage for example) and you can forward the number to your cell. The problem is when you return the call, they will see the # you're calling from on their caller ID. Then the next time they call, they may just call the # from the caller ID.
  17. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

I still have a landline and one extra number attached to it. It costs about $8/mo and has a different ring. It's not an actual "phone" line though. You can only attach one of these phantom lines. I have Verizon. Still, it all goes to one answer machine that give out one message unless you're there to pickup the calls and hear the different rings.

For cell phones, your number is tied to the SIM card so it will be some kinda of internet or software service that may forward multiple numbers to one phone. Still, you won't be able to tell which one is calling you.

Not an answer but at least some more info.
  18. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

I don't know about prices, but I used to have a virtual office with Regus, and they handled that for you. It was EXTREMELY convenient. They answer the call for you, based on the number being called, and they forward the call to your cell, and let you know who is calling, and the topic.
  19. randyripoff

randyripoff

I could see a couple of ways you could go:

1. Get a handful of cheap prepaid phones. Shouldn't be hard to forward them to where you need, and it's unlikely to cost that much in the long run.

2. Look at 800 numbers. From what I understand, they're not as expensive as a lot of people think.
  20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I use Vonage (voip) for my business. You can get multiple #'s and they also have a business plan that you can have extension #'s. So a customer could call the main "Booking Agency #" and then select the extension for the band/DJ whatever. You can receive all voicemails as an email sent to your computer/cell phone so you don't miss any.