Books for every scale and arpeggio?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lostintime, Jan 7, 2014.

1. lostintime

lostintime

Hello,i am a new bass playerand i want to ask if anyone knows,is there any book that has every scale,in every positions,how to every scale and arrpegio is "created" e.t.c?
    Thank you very much]]

e.g sorry for any possible mistake in my message,i dont speak english fluently!

2. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

check out the Guitar Grimoire. However, I think you'll find that kind of study repetitive and of limited use in the majority of musical situations. Instead, you might want to look into just the following:
    Major, minor, diminished scale patterns (1 octave) starting on fingers 1, 2, and 4 on the E string
    Major, minor, diminished scale patterns (1 octave) starting on fingers 1, 2, and 4 on the A string

Once you can do that up, down, backwards, and sideways, up it to two octaves. That'll keep you busy for, ohhhh, the next year or so, and the patterns fit on a single page.

3. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

+1 for guitar Grimoire. I think they make a bass one as well. A friend lent it to me and I honestly think 90% of it is useless for 90% of players though, as only 10% of that book applies to 90% of popular music from what I remember of it.

I'd be inclined to agree with the post above unless you're looking to learn some pretty exotic stuff.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

There is most definitely a bass grimoire, it is exactly what your looking for OP but you will need to have some basic grasp of theory. They explain how everything works in the books but it helps to have a firm grasp on intervals.

The book is not something I would consider terribly informative in terms of education, it is nothing more than scales. I do own it personally but it rarely comes out these days, there are some pretty insane scales in there though, far beyond major, minor, diminished and augmented. I believe it has many 5 tone scales too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

What do you mean by "starting on fingers 1, 2, and 4"? Can you rephrase this part of your reply. I would like to understand what you meant.

7. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Try searching the net for an acrobat file of "Rock Bass"; A book discussing what to do daily for 30 days;

8. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

lostintime,

To save time for yourself and to help become a better bass player, you should learn basic music theory. The notes, the scales, the chords, the keys and how all these things work together. Its not much work at all and it will make that guitar in your hand seem much less intimidating.

Check this link out. It will serve you well. Also search the internet for basic music theory or intro to music theory, but again the link below does a pretty fair job of it.
    http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music Theory - Basic, Intermediate, Advanced.pdf

He means your pointer finger (1), middle finger (2) and pinky finger (4). Starting scales with the different fingers will use different fretboard patterns. Learning all of them will help you really visualize the fretboard well. Use the whole neck and never be lost. Though you should still learn how scales are created first!

9. Schlyder

Schlyder