Books for Reading? (Bach, Simandl, Charlie Parker)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Generic_Bassist, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Generic_Bassist

Generic_Bassist

Hey there! New user, don't mind me.

I'm looking to start taking my music reading more seriously, I can already read a bit. I'm good with rhythms, I know where the notes relate to the bass and the stave. It's just a matter of putting in the hours and making it second nature.

A while back a tutor recommend me the following for reading:

Bach Cello Suites
    Simandl's 30 etudes for double bass
    The Charlie Parker Omnibook

I have a couple of questions about all of them...

Do a lot of the Bach pieces go out of the range of a normal 4 string bass? A lot of guys seem to have them arranged for 6 string like Patitucci. And is there a specific book that you guys would recommend? I also know that Jaco spent a lot of time playing Bach pieces, which would imply you can play them on 4 string.

The Simandl one seems fairly straight forward, but there a lot of versions which vary a lot in price. Ranging from about £6 to £25. I'm wondering what the deal with that is.

The Charlie Parker book comes in versions for different clefs and keys as obviously these are alto sax transcriptions. There is one from bass clef, but maybe it would good to practise reading treble clef too and transposing it?

Thanks!
  2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

I guess I would focus on reading the kind of music that you are likely to play. I'm sure the Bach and Simandl books are good for developing your sight-reading skill and left hand technique, but the music itself is not likely to be similar to what you will play as an electric bassist. The purpose of the Charlie Parker books is to understand the note choices and phrasing of a great jazz soloist. It's a great way to learn jazz soloing, but it's difficult reading, and it isn't bass lines.

I'd recommend this book (and its two sequels):
    http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Sig...eywords=essential sight reading electric bass
    IME, the material here is the kind of stuff I've actually been asked to read on a gig.

You might also think about the bass clef Real Book, just for further practice.