1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Boom!... say what?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lazylion, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

I drive a county school bus. As part of my mid-day route, I pick up a couple of students from the local military base. One day last week, I presented my CDL and school staff ID cards through the bus window to the young male security guard at the gate as usual. As he handed them back to me, he said the following:

"Boom."

"Boom?" I thought as I drove off. Odd thing to hear from a guy, part of whose job is to look for illicit explosives on the vehicles he admits onto the base. Then I thought, hmm, is this a new slang word, along the lines of "cool" or "groovy" (I remember when "groovy" was new!)? More research was indicated.

So today I was looking for an opportunity to try out this word. About 3:40 pm, we arrived at the school to pick up the afternoon run. One of the teachers got on the bus, to get the kids situated for the ride home. They are "special needs" boys, and they often need help settling down in their seats. We had less than a full load, as a couple of them had been picked up early by parents. So once they were all on, she turned to me and said "that's it". I seized my opportunity, and blurted out "Boom!" And she immediately gave me a smile and a "Boom" in return!

I took this to mean that I'd used it correctly, since she is much younger than me, and she works closely with kids all day. All I do is drive them around for a few minutes each day. I don't really interact/converse with them.

It's hard for us 57-year-old guys to keep up with the bleeding edge of hipness. So I'm presenting this to the assembled wisdom of TB. Is "boom" the new "cool" or "groovy"?
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

3. Lazylion

4. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Anyone who helps special needs kids is about as hip as you can get. :)
  5. Richland123

Richland123

Chicka "Boom" Chicka "Boom" - Don't you just love it?

6. Lazylion

:D The bleeding edge of hipness, fer sure!
  7. AaronMB

AaronMB

So I wonder if I can say "This thread is full of Boom."

I've yet to hear "boom" in this context, or as described in any of the urbandictionary definitions. I guess California is falling behind on the latest. lol
  8. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Pull your boom windward and forward otherwise you'll end up in the water.
  9. Lazylion

And don't cleat the sheet! Not when you're in a 17-footer, anyway! Boom!

My dad and I learned that the hard way...
  10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

"Boom" or "bam" are affirmative responses, typically when presenting something that's expected or being inquired about or for adding an exclamation point to an action, like putting that last bolt into place and starting a machine successfully on the first go.

It lets people know you're on top of your game. ;)
  11. Richland123

Richland123

12. Lazylion

Maybe that's what the guard was trying to tell me!
  13. bassteban

bassteban

I steal *BAM* from this guy daily
  14. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

15. Lazylion

"•BOOMM Bored Out Of My Mind"
    Maybe THIS is what the guard meant! Maybe he's not thrilled to be hanging out at the guard shack in sub-freezing weather all day!
  16. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

I think it's more of a military term meaning something positive or affirmative.

During my service in the ARMY when things didn't go as planned we used to say FIDO ,as in the dogs name ,figure that one out
  17. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

#$%& it drive on....
  18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

F*** It, Do Over?

Come to think about it, the only other person Ive heard use "Boom" was also ex-military.
  19. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Maybe it was a code word because he mistook you for a covert agent that was there picking up other covert agents. :bag::help:
  20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just this morning said "boom" while giving a co-worker a friendly fist-bump, and he seemed to take it as I meant it--a harmless greeting sound.

[​IMG]