Boost/tone pedal

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Funkadelicious, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Funkadelicious

Funkadelicious

Hi everyone,

Here's is my problem ; I'm playin in a really loud funk rock band, which wants me to slap in a lot of our songs. But, the things is that I need to switch from a slap tone to fingerstyle tone almost 2-3 times in a single song, and thats what's giving me a hard time. So I was looking to buy a boost pedal like the MXR Micro Amp Boost, but then I realized that I don't just want to boost my signal, I need to switch from an EQ to another too.

So, any suggestion ?
    I'm already thanking you. :bassist:
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any EQ pedal will do it, but really, the thing to do is play to where your slap tone and fingerstyle tone match each other in intensity. It can be done. I do it.
  3. wmheilma

wmheilma

What Jimmy M said. I do that too. If your slap tone seems to thin when you thump with your thumb, try to fan your thumb when you thump to to strum and thump at the same rune. This adds bottom.
  4. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Jimmy is correct.. if all else fails. Markbass Mini Boost..=]
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i don't slap at all, but wouldn't a compressor pedal be useful here, especially one that has a little tone control to it? kick it on for the slap sections to equalize level, add a bit of sustain and maybe also smooth out the percussiveness?
  6. ggunn

ggunn

Posts about technique notwithstanding, EQ pedals usually have a level adjustment knob as well.
  7. zephyr_words

zephyr_words

I dig in hard so the whole match your finger with your slap doesn't work for me. I do what Flea does and use the MXR M-133 Micro Amp. The Markbass Mini Boost mentioned above looks cool too but it a more expensive option and the VPF is probably not needed.