1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bootsy Collins Live Sound Sub Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lefty007, Jan 17, 2014.

1. lefty007

lefty007

I recently caught Bootsy Collins live at a festival with full band. There was another bassist holding it down most of the time, and the bass sound on the front of the house was just HUGE, bigger than any of the other bands. I was a bit far and couldn't tell if the huge bass sound was Bootsy's or the other bass player's, but I'm pretty sure it was the other bass player's, because Bootsy was mainly filling in and playing with fuzz, etc.

I'm wondering if it's that dbx subharmonics processor? I just couldn't believe the amount of low end and how low it went.

Wondering if there are here any hardcore Bootsy fans that might know what that secret sauce was. :help:
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Could have something to do with the 20,000 watts of power amps, through the four 4x18s, four 4x15s, AND four 8x10s, just for his stage sound... not including the PA of course. :)
  3. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Yea, he ain't messin' around
  4. lefty007

lefty007

I was at the festival the whole weekend, listening to bands like The Roots, Lettuce, Bonobo, Dumpstafunk, and nobody came close to generating these unearthly sub lows like Bootsy's band . . . LOL.

I guess it could have been just the FOH guy boosting the sub lows at the console. . .