Bosch 1617EVSPK 1/2" router

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Flux Jetson, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

How does the Bosch 1617EVSPK 1/2" router work out for doing guitar/bass work? It seems to spec-out against the Porter Cable 892 pretty well.

Bosch:

2.25HP/12 amp soft start 8k to25k rpm variable speed.

PC:

2.25hp/12 amp 10k to 23k rpm variable speed.

The Bosch comes with a fixed base and a plunge base, 1/4" and 1/2" collets, carrying case, tool-free base conversion, and these nice wooden handles on the fixed base.

Any thoughts on comparing the two? I know the PC gets a lot of love here on Talk Bass. I read some stuff about the Bosch having some switch troubles, but it turns out the switch troubles are usually caused when using the router mounted on a table and dust gets worked into the switch. The switch is removable AND servicable so that cleaning out the dust from inside the switch cures the failure.

So, any comments?

Thanks!

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I'm sure its a fine router, If I were choosing between that and the PC I would buy the least expensive one.

3. Big B.

Big B.

I'm sure the Bosch is a great router as well. I would go with the the PC because they are the standard that all aftermarket jigs and template sets are made to fit. The good news is that the majority of competitors make their tools with these specs as well. I think you get a good tool either way.

4. sleeping buddha

sleeping buddha

Disclosures:
    Endorsed by Welch basses
    It's a fine router. I bought mine probably 7 years ago and still running strong. And it was a re-man as well. The soft start is nice as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Konquest

Konquest

The new Bosch with the trigger on/off on the handles is the one to get. The ability to turn the tool on or off without taking your hands off the handles is worth the extra $$$. If you are getting a router to mount into a table, I'd look at the Triton models with the one wrench changes and above-table adjustments...

7. bassteban

bassteban

IMO/IME you can't go wrong w/either. Trigger handle: a very valid point

8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

As an European, I'd choose Bosch.
    Even if it didn't have the soft start, which I consider to be absolutely necessary for anything over 1KW for the ease of operation and for the longevity of the tool.

OTOH, the PC may be a safer choice for You, depending of the availability of the jigs Big B. up there mentioned, and the availability of the spare parts.

Regards
    Sam

9. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I own 1 PC and 3 BOSCH routers, I have the PC just for using Bushings, other than that, My Bosch's are my workhorses.
    You can't go wrong with either, so if you plan on using Bushings as opposed to bearing guided bits, the PC is going to be more useful.

10. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements

That Bosch is a great router. I used one for a couple years of learning to build guitars, it is now on duty in my CNC router. It probably has about 500 hours of run time on it now. I recently replaced the brushes, bearings and speed control pack--easy and inexpensive.

(I'll be running it again very soon JC LOL!)

11. bassteban

bassteban

Bosch is very well-supported in the states; I wouldn't think twice about its being Euro-made.

12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    LMAO. Adam.....awsome. I smell Cocobolo dust in you and your wifes future....LMFAO

13. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

Well, thanks folks. I'm glad the Bosch turns out to be a decent choice because my wife got me the 1617EVSPK for Christmas! I had only just opened it up about a half hour prior to posting this thread. She knew I wanted the PC 892, but Lowes was out of stock, so she poured over which one to get and she made the choice on the Bosch herself.

It wasn't just a lucky shot on her part. We owned/operated a power tool repair center from 1994 to 2009 and were the factory authorized repair and warranty center for about 15 or so different brands of power tools ... Bosch being one of them. At our peak we had seven repair techs on payroll, plus myself. She delt with everything that wasn't out in the shop (bookeeping, inventory control, customers, and far too many other duties). So she drew on her exerience and memories from that time to compare the specs and features between the ones available on the shelf at Lowes.

So I'm not only quite happy with the router she selected I also very proud of her for her ability to select it. I'm not too worried about the template compatibility issue that the PC has over the Bosch, I have a 24x19 2.5 hp mill and a 36" lathe (and other drill presses, et al) so I should be able to do "ok" if I need to create or modify things like that. I'm much more of a metalworker to be honest, with wood I'm one of those guys that "cut it off twice and it's still too short!".

The only thing about the Bosch that bugs me ... just a little .. is that the bases both need a bit of work. When placing a straight edge across the bottom of either base there is a little light sneeking through. I think a little time with a block and a bit of emery paper can flatten out both bases though (they are made of some sortof polymer). Worst case I can make an aluminum plate to bolt to the bottoms of the basses but I think I may be worrying about nothing here.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I have a LOT ahead of me now, I mean working "on" them is totally different than working "with" them! I already imagine many sacrificial 2x4s pieces laying around with poorly done pickup cavities cut into them as I practice with the Bosch ... haahaa!

Any other advice or help would be much appreciated.

Fluxoid.