1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Boss 0C Octave Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marbass00, Jan 8, 2014.

1. marbass00

marbass00

Hi I got the Boss 0C Octave Pedal for Christmas and I don't know how much I like it.. it gets muddy on the low end even though it is in the bass port and I was wondering what styles/ways you guys use/would use it.
    Thanks,
    Margot:bassist:
  2. Darko74

Darko74

My oc-2 doesnt track well after D. Mines usually set oct 2 @0 or off(i never use this) and oct 1 around 1 oclock and direct signal fully on. Though some guys use it for the pure synth sound n turn off the direct signal and have the oct1 on full.
  3. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

I use the same settings as above on my OC2, works nicely to fatten things up a bit when you want to add texture or fill some space when others are soloing etc. It's actually one of my most used pedals come to think of it.

As far as tracking goes, I find it really depends on the instrument that you use it with. I have a couple of basses that it goes a little funny on, and others that it doesn't lose any tightness whatsoever, perhaps something to do with the instrument's own harmonic overtone content?

How low down are you going with it? I never go lower than an A or G# on the low E when the octaver is on, to me those frequencies an octave lower are mud regardless of how they're being played. I don't think I've ever heard an octaver designed to play well at such low notes. If it's getting muddy before a B or so, then it might take a little bit of eq work to fix it. My own sound is more mid-range to treble based with an average amount of bottom to it, so the octaver just adds a little more roundness to the tone.
  4. JohnDeereJack

JohnDeereJack

I think Margot may be talking about the OC-3 considering the 'bass port' was mentioned in the OP (OC-3 has separate Guitar & Bass inputs)
    I tried the OC-3 a while ago and was thoroughly unimpressed by it though both posts above offer good advice regarding tracking and muddiness.
  5. Icculus

Icculus

I've had my OC-3 for a couple of days and I find that tracking issues can be a bit sporadic. I even had issues with the D, 7th fret on the G string, but only that one note on the G. I find if I play the same D on the D string, 12th fret, there's no issue. I hope this is something that remains consistent with a particular bass, otherwise I'm going to be timid to use this pedal in live situations.

For most applications, I like to use the octave pedal while playing from the 10th fret and higher. I turn the dry signal all the way down, so all you hear is the low note.
  6. JBTucci

JBTucci Supporting Member

with those things you usually want to play up high for better tracking, maybe pan to your neck pick up more and roll some tone off. just suggestions.

Great handle by the way - 'he wrote the f***ing book ok!'