1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Boss BF-2 vs. BF-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grunge_freak, Mar 2, 2014.

1. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

Ok guys I know this is something that has been debated many times over but I own both of these pedals and I just can't decide which one to keep/which one to sell. Keep in mind I am going for the Justin Chancellor of Tool type flange and I know he used a BF-2, but for some reason there is something about the BF-3 that makes me hesitant to sell it. What's your input on which of these you prefer for bass and why?

2. Happynoj

Happynoj

Keep the one you like the sound of best. I have BF-2 that I bought mainly because of the hype and I got a good deal on it. I've never tried any other flangers to compare it to.

3. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

That's just the problem: I do think the BF-2 gets the justin chancellor sound slightly better. For playing Tool covers, which I enjoy doing cause me and my buddy love Tool and learn their songs religiously, it does great. But I have written some great tunes myself using the BF-3 as well, before I got the BF-2, and they just sound slightly different to me through the BF-2 when I play them. I don't know I'm just torn but I feel like having two nearly identical flange pedals is kind of unnecessary.

4. sketch

sketch

I like the BF-2 better, for not much any reason.

Could keep both, and set them for drastically different sounds.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. comicbookguy95

comicbookguy95

Have your buddy hook both of them up and set them up as close to each other as possible. Then blindfold yourself and play while your buddy switches between the two. If you can legitimately tell the difference between the two and identify them by sound alone then keep them both. If you can't then flip a coin and sell which ever will get you the most cash.

7. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

I think it's because the BF-2 is analog- BF-3 is digital. Not like I'm one of those people who downplays digital pedals, but I'm just acknowledging the difference between the two.

8. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

And I like that idea, I may just end up doing that.

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Better yet, blind test them in a band setting, because unless you mainly do solo material, thats how everyone else is going to hear it, and in my experience people are not going to notice the subtle difference between two flangers when theres two guitars, a drum kit and vocals over the top!

10. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

Very true. We usually gig in more intimate venues such as coffee shops, bars and restaraunts, (thankfully we have found coffee shops that do more than just acoustic so we are able to play our psychedelic stuff) and I usually incorporate the flanger into the bass for certain songs, and there are a few where I do solos so people would definitely be able to hear it in those situations. Most of the songs we play are instrumental so no vocals and people love it. And we tend to play with a drummer who doesn't play too hard so the bass is very audible. Our music is truly built around the bass and guitar parts. This is why I am having such a hard time deciding, because for what I play, I feel like subtle effects such as the flangers make more of a difference to the sound of our music as opposed to a metal band who has two guitarists and a drummer going HAM on double bass haha!

But I do also play in a side project that does tons of 90's alternative rock covers, and for that kind of setting, I can use either flanger to add a little flavor and it really doesn't matter which one.

11. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

May I also add that when I use either of these flangers, I'm playing my epiphone thunderbird IV, typically running it through MY Fender Rumble 100 2x10 for playing in bars, restaurants, coffee shops, but when I play big shows with my other band I run it through my friends huge cab. Also my other pedals that I use these babies with include: EHX bass big muff pi, boss ODB-3 overdrive, and an EHX small clone chorus.

12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

I prefer the BF-3. Compared it to a friend's BF-2 and for straight ahead I like the BF-3 just a touch, then it has many more modes to offer. I use that gated chopper mode sometimes.

13. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

I have owned both and I prefer the Bf-2. I think it has a more natural warmer sound to it. I found the bf-3 to sound a little more abrasive at times.

14. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

^
    +1 on the warmer sound, definitely. Though the BF-3 has a more metallic flange, I suppose they each serve their own purpose, even though they were made to serve the same purpose.

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've owned a few BF-2's and the BF-3. The BF-3 sux. I couldnt use it. I was going to throw it away but someone on Craigslist decided to buy it from me.

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

IMO, if you want the JC sound from Tool, keep the BF2. Becasue thats what he uses. BUT, remember there a so many more variables to HIS sound/tone than just a BF2 for flanger tone....

17. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

gregmon, I agree that there are different alternatives. I have seen bass covers of Tool songs where people sound great using other types of flanges and other pedals.

But, I feel that this is part of why I can't decide. In the end, I've decided to just keep both pedals. But feel free to share your hatred/love of the BF-2/BF-3 if you still want!

18. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I've owned multiple BF-2's .... have a BF-3 now ... I thought the BF-2 sounded good but lost some low end compared to the BF-3.

Since you have both A-B them at "gig" volume keep the one you like .... don't keep one or the other based on all us talking heads

19. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

After doing A-B tests and thoroughly comparing the two with different settings on my bass, amp, and other pedals, I now really do think that the BF-2 has a superior sound. The BF-3 is very metallic and doesn't let the natural tone of my bass come through as much. That being said, I think these are both fantastic pedals but the BF-2 most definitely has a warmer, better tone for bass.

20. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I did the A/B thing with the BF's as well & I totally disagree with you.

Just shows what sounds good or bad is totally subjective.

21. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

^+1 to that my man. Also I notice it depends on the bass, amp and other pedals being run. The BF's both sounded different on my buddies bass through his amp then on mine. I guess for my particular setup, I like the BF-2 but your setup may just be more welcoming to the BF-3, who knows. thats half the fun of using pedals is messing around until you find what sounds good!