Boss BR-80: Love it? Hate it? Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I did a TB search on this and didn't turn up much.

Looking at the product description it seems to have a lot of good features.

I'm interested to know whether the speed and tempo of playback songs can be changed independently. Can you slow down a song and keep it in the same key? Can you raise the pitch of a song (e.g. to learn a drop-tuned song with a regular-tuned bass) without changing the tempo?

Has anybody used this thing? What's your impression?

Are there other similar products worth comparing it to?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    This thing caught my eye somehow a few weeks ago. I read a bunch of reviews, watched a bunch of videos, thought long and hard, and just pulled the trigger. :) I want something super small and user friendly to catch and record ideas on. I like the built in drums, the effects sound great, and it really seems like this little recorder can do lots and lots of really cool stuff. The only thing I need to do is commit to using it, as I've learned this type of thing is great if it becomes 2nd nature (ie. I don't have to refer to the manual anymore), and just winds up collecting dust if I don't learn it well, quickly. Will post comments once I get it, and start playing around.

Yes, it can do that. Those features wouldn't be very useful if they didn't work as such.

Anyone else get one of these yet? Really seems like a great tool for the box.

3. BillinAnchorage

BillinAnchorage

I searched every possible tool like this and just received it four days ago. I'm very motivated to learn it so hopefully it won't end up on ebay like so many of my other "tools". I'm putting a Line 6 Ux2 POD studio on this week. Just too limited with no rhythm features. I almost bought the Korg SOS or the Tascam GT-R1. Good luck to me. : -) or us I should say.

4. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Yes. I know the feeling well. :) Been through lots of "toys" like that. The worst for me was one of the early digital recorders, a korg D16. It had countless menus and the owners manual was horrible. I learned to hate korg after that, and a triton. I can't navigate their gear. Zoom is incredibly user friendly (for me at least), and I've had decent luck with boss and roland.

I've been reading the manual, and I'm going to continue studying it for a big headstart on this one. It seems pretty user friendly. I think we're going to be okay. :) Only time will tell.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

I have a BR-80, it is a way cool tool kit of tricks for allsorts.

7. rulyongo

rulyongo

I'm thinking of buying the BR-80. For those who have it, what has been your experience?

8. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    I love mine. Discovered after my last post that it also makes way better live band recordings than any other field recorder I ever bought. My ipad however has become my go to portable recorder so I no longer need the br80. I was considering selling it. It is in absolute perfect condition. If interested let me know. I believe I even still have the original packing material.

I reviewed on amazon if you want to check out my thoughts regarding everything else. I thought I reviewed it here but just looked back and see I didn't. It'll be hard letting this go (that's why I don't have it for sale yet), but I know I most likely wont be using it anymore.

Let me know if you're interested.

9. rulyongo

rulyongo

Hello Joe, I'll send you a private message.

10. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

Still use mine a lot, recorded last weekends gig with the stereo field recorder function.
    I also has all my band songs loaded to play along with phones on, songs can have the pitch or speed altertered, and the BR-80 remembers the last setting for each song's pitch/speed.
    I have yet to try a multi-track recording with it, but did manage to load in and use a midi drum track, using the internal PCM midi drums.

11. rulyongo

rulyongo

Thanx for the info.