1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Boss CE-5, Confused on Analog Vs. Digital.. Help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pfautz, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Pfautz

Pfautz

I know in 2001 they started making the CE-5 digital. I also know in general analog produces a warmer sound than digital. I have researched this on this site and others and I keep getting mixed answers. I am told that on this particular pedal that there is a major difference between the pre 2001 and post 2001 in sound.. But I also have been told that because of **HOW** they made the changes (Analog to Digital) to this particular pedal that it sounds virtually the same(In particular I guess what they altered and what they kept the same made it better than some analog to digital conversions).. Does anyone have the definitive answer on this? Thank you very much!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Don't get caught up in that old "analog is warmer than digital" mindset. It's not always true, and it's probably false a lot more often than people will admit to themselves.

In particular, do not spend even one more second trying to analyze whether one version of this pedal will sound good to you before you even hear it.

Get the pedal. If you like how it sounds, great. If you don't, now you know.

3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

I've had both versions (not at the same time though) and I didn't notice much difference. Some people say the digital version has more "sparkle" but I can't say.