Boss CS-3 for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by santamarana, May 6, 2008.

1. santamarana

santamarana

Hey all.

I was wondering If anyone uses a CS-3 compression/sustainer for their bass.
    I am new at using compression for the bass and would like to get an idea as to what I should set the pedal at for getting a good sound without losing tone.
    I play Blues/Rock.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You can check out my review linked in my sig. With or without modding, a good setting would be: sustain at around 9:30, attack around 12:00, and tone set to taste.
  3. santamarana

santamarana

Thank you very much
  4. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat

hey bongo, i know you don't have a review for the CS-2, but have you tried it and/or heard enough about it to gauge an opinion?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

Disclosures:
    The bit I've read has indicated to me that it is similar to the CS3 but without the tone control.
  7. tovey87

tovey87

I've got a couple of questions after reading FAQ on compressors. I understand the "Sustain" and "Attack" dials but for some reason I am struggling to come to terms with the "Tone" and "Level". (I may just be being stupid).

Does the "Level" dial set the level that the compressor starts working or is it just the level that the pedal will be in the mix?

What does the "Tone" do for the sound of the entire mix and also what does it do within the pedal itself?
  8. syisrad

syisrad

On the Boss pedals, Level is usually the overall volume of the pedal (post effect)
  9. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Hmm, sorry I missed that nearly-year-old question. "Tone" just rolls off the highs a bit; it does not affect "the entire mix" per se, just whatever signal enters the pedal. "Level" is the output volume, and no relation to the performance of the compressor.