Boss feedbacker on bass (FB-2)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JP Morin, Sep 28, 2012.

1. JP Morin

JP Morin

Does anyone of you have tried this on bass guitar ??
    I have a similar feedback effect on my korg tonework and find that cool... I was wondering wow the boss one works with bass guitar !!

What do you think ??

Thanks !!

JP
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja

Media:
    Honestly I don't know. Sorry if this is too off topic, but I use my Metal Zone (MT-2) to obtain an easily controlled feedback.
    On topic I have seen, but not heard, a bass player who had it on his pedal board.
  3. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have used mine on bass.
    I've talked about it before in other threads. You should be able to find them with the search function
  4. Jackson171

Jackson171

I have not heard anyone mention this pedal in quite a while. I had one when they first came out in the 80's. It seemed like a good concept, step on the pedal and it will make a feed back sound.

Basically what the pedal does is allow you to produce a synthy sounding tone that can be "pre-set" to the pitch you want. It's kinda like a one note keyboard with a knob to set the pitch you want when you hit that one note.

I found it pretty useless and in general sounds bad for any kind of music. I wouldn't use the "feedback" at all. The distorion was not too bad and could be useful.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    The fb2 is nothing like the old df2.
    I have both.
    The old model synthesises the last note you play as you engage the feedback effect, holding it as long as the pedal is depressed. The new model uses a different process that gives you some sort of boost which pushes the note into a real feedback sound which can be manipulated (vibrato, slide etc..), whereas the df2's note was fixed and unchangeable without restarting
  7. JP Morin

JP Morin

Really ?? Well that's different... I mean : with the new model, Do you have to crank up your sound on your amp to have a feedback ??

thanks for your feedback everybody !! :)
  8. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    No. The pedal does it for you. With bass it takes a while to feedback, but guitar is pretty quick. There is a knob to control speed of the feedback, but it still takes longer :(
    There is a slight bass loss though whilst using the boost function
  9. JP Morin

JP Morin

mmmhhh... I see... that's may be not what i'm looking for... may be the old model is closer to what I'd like to get... anyway I'll try it in a shop around to see, if they have it in stock...

Otherwise, does someone know an other effect that does the same ??

Thanks !!
  10. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    The line 6 dr distorto does something similar, and there is a behringer clone of the df2 called distortion/ feedback iirc.
  11. JP Morin

JP Morin

Thanks man !! I'd give a look at both !! :)
  12. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

What are your thoughts on this as a substitute for the eBow on bass, since that can be kind of tricky? I'm not looking for feedback, just infinite sustain.
  13. JP Morin

JP Morin

Not sure it will do the trick you want it to do...
    Usually the feedbacker adds some harmonic contents and colors to the note to emulate the feedback sound, even if some units have options on the feedback (octave higher, etc...) and using just root feedback option, it still adds something to the sound IMO...

May be there is some unit that does infinite sustain and doesn't color the sound, but saddly I don't know any of them so I can't help you more...

ebow sounds really nice on bass by the way, as it doesn't color your tone !!
  14. dave2

dave2

I've got one of the first models made by Boss. I used it while recording some really off the wall stuff and it works great!
    I was thinking of selling it since it was for one project only.

Dave
  15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

!?!?!?!
  16. JP Morin

JP Morin

I tried it on bass guitar and double bass, and to me the ebow doesn't add nothing to the sound, it still just the plain sound of the string vibrating... It doesn't add artificial harmonics or anything at all...
  17. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Wow. I have the complete opposite experience, on all of my basses.
  18. JP Morin

JP Morin

well... May be I have to retry cuz it was a couple years ago, at a friend's home on his bass guitars. So my experience are quite limited with ebow. But I haven't noticed coloration at all.

Sure it is different than normal plucking cuz no attack at all. May be you place it over "node harmonic points" of the string or something ??
    This bring the harmonic in front...
    What have you noticed/experimented ?? I'm just curious !! :)

thnks...
  19. alec

alec

My EBow gives me a overdriven sound with lots of harmonics, and that's in normal mode. In harmonic mode most of the fundamental is stripped out an the overtones are going crazy.
    I'd call that colouration.
  20. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I second that.

21. Moloch666

Moloch666

I have two different Boss DF-2 (Super Feedbacker & Distortion) and they both have different sounds. I find the Feedback to be a bit unpredictable if you're not being careful with what signal is going through the pedal when you trigger the feedback - but if you want really long drone notes you can get that out of them.