1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

boss gt-100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by audiophile21, Mar 31, 2012.

1. audiophile21

audiophile21

So last night I was screwing around at my local gc and I stumbled upon the new multi effects processor from boss, the gt-100. I played a few guitars through it and it sounded amazing. The new cosm processing sounds really really good, similar to the pod hd series. A few things that stood out to me:
    1) The tuner: It turns on as soon as you hit both of the switches at once (which was no problem) and it is really visually appealing, but it doesn't mute the sound when it is turned on, so you can check to see if your still in tune while playing or use the volume pedal to tune silently.
    2) The switching: Switching from one channel to another is smooth, it doesn't clip. Going from bank to bank is incredibly easy as there are simply two switches at the top.
    I really dig the dual lcd screens and the black as opposed to the silver. All in all I really liked the it, HOWEVER there are currently no bass amp models and I did not screw around with the editing. (looking back I probably should have tried it with a bassman model or something) this processor could be used simply for its effects by editing out the amps from the presets. If they release a 100b or a bass amp pack I will definitively be picking one up.

2. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

I have one, and am currently making a software editor for it, available free from
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/
    I had only had it 2 days, but used it at a gig, i quickly dialed in 4 patches using the custom preamps, and i thought they sounded great, even better than my GT-10B.
    The GT-100 now has a couple of tube amp type controls to give a tube type compression which is working really well on my bass.

With this editing software, i am able to use all my patches saved from my GT-6B and GT-10B.
    The GT-100 seems to be getting a lot of undeserved bad rap from some guitar sites, from a lot of (L6 lov'n) people who have not yet tried one but hate Boss gear.

3. Mixu

Mixu

gumtownbassman, would you recommend the gt-100 instead of gt-10b?
    I'm looking for a good multifx pedalboard and if I could use it for my guitar and mainly for my bass it would be awesome!
    So... gt-100 sounds better on bass than gt-10b?

4. gumtown

Yes i definately recommend the GT-100 over the GT-10B, the amps are much more tubesc sounding, and the clean natural preamp works well on bass ( as do many of the others), and the effects have more clarity and richness, and as a bonus, the GT-100 looks really cool with the amber dual screens on black color scheme.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

gumtown, I want to believe you.....but when I search for gt-100 and bass, there really isn't anyone else that has weighed in their thoughts.

I'm interested (...partially because it's black and not silver/red) in the gt-100 but I'd hate to get a product that hasn't been tested for bass all that much.

7. gumtown

As with any product, I would not make a decission based on other peoples thoughts and recommendations alone, I would try one out, or compare it to a GT-10B myself. Fortunately I have both, so i have been able to compare both side-by-side.
    I have a bit of experiance with the Boss GT gear and know them inside-out, I have had or still do own the GT-5, GT-3, GT-8, GT-10, GT-100, GT-6B, GT-10B, and written software editor s for all of them.
    I would choose the GT-100 for bass over all of them, especially for the amp modeling, the GT-100 really warms up the tone and feel, like they got the tube emulation spot on, but i still think the GT-6B synth effect is the best of the lot.

For my needs I still use my modified GR-55 + VT-Bass pedal, a few times the GR-55 + GT-100 as it can nail the VT-Bass tone quite well.

here is a link to another forum with GT-100 used on bass

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/showthread.php?30204-Anybody-using-this-with-a-bass&highlight=bass

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/showth...re-a-plan-to-produce-a-GT-100B&highlight=bass

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/showthread.php?29930-Bass-on-a-gt-100&highlight=bass

http://www.theperfectbass.com/BOSS-GT-100-Amp-Effects-Processor.htm

this was interesting

or maybe keep the GT-100 for bass a best kept secret? :bag:

8. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

In my area there is little to zero access to bass effects. I actually bought a gt-10b off my impressions of the mega thread(s) here on TB.

I'm digging my GT-10b, so to hear you say the Gt-100 is better (an opinion I deeply respect given your extensive knowledge of the gt series) the gears in my head start turning. I have a markbass compressore that I run my signal through before the gt-10b for a bit of tube-ness, so I'm attempting to decide how much more "warming" my tone would need outside of that.

Is there any noticeable tracking improvement with any of the effects between the two units? And how does the octave compare between the two?

Plus...the Gt-100 looks like how the gt-10b should have looked. I'm a sucker for aesthetics....

PS. Thank you for your in depth response (and being so quick). It's quite wonderful to have someone with such extensive knowledge willing to pass it on.

9. 11o8o

11o8o

Gumtownbassman, can you compare BOSS GT-6B with Markbass Super synth ?

Thanks

10. gumtown

r
    Haven't tried the MarkBass synth, when I say the GT-6B synth is the best of the lot, I mean out of all the Boss GT series pedals.

11. 11o8o

11o8o

Understood. You compared all the GT series.

I hoped you might had not only all the GT's but maby even Markbass too.

Thanks for quick answer !

12. SIQbass

SIQbass

I would like to second Guntownbassman's opinion. The GT-100 is absolutely baller for bass. The preamp models require a bit of working with, but all the other effects absolutely kill on bass. In particular, I am a fan of the internal split signal chain.

13. Spilferderber

Spilferderber

hey guys,

I'm considering buying the Gretsch G5265 JetBaritone guitar hooked with the GT-100 (and connected to the Ampeg SVT-3PRO/SVT610HLF stack).

anyone heard some baritone guitar hooked on the GT-100 and bass-amp?

14. Gweb

Gweb

Could anyone recommend some 'go to' initial settings on the GT100 for bass? It'd be a massive help.

15. gumtown

Just a preamp setting here

Wed 23. Jan 09:06:19 2013
    Boss GT-100 Complete Patch Summary
    a list of all parameters with-in this patch.

Patch name = flat Bass

Patch Mode Output Select = JC-120

**********Signal Chain**********
    Input --> [FX-1]-[Comp]-[Pedal/Wah]-[Dist/ODrive]-[Send/Return]-[A/B Divider]
    Channel A = [PreAmp A]-[N.Supp 1]-
    Channel B = [PreAmp B]-[N.Supp 2]-
    [A/B Mixer]-[EQ]-[Foot Vol]-[FX-2]-[Delay]-[Chorus]-[Accel]-[Reverb]-[USB]- -> L/R Output

**********Channel Mode***********
    [DIV: Mode] = Single
    [DIV: Channel] = Channel A
    [MIX: Mode] = Stereo
    [MIX: Balance] = Centre
    [MIX: Spread] = 0

**********Pre Amp A***********
    [PRE A: On/Off] = On
    [PRE A: Type] = Custom
    [PRE A: Gain] = 50
    [PRE A: T-Comp] = 5
    [PRE A: Bass] = 50
    [PRE A: Middle] = 56
    [PRE A: Treble] = 88
    [PRE A: Presence] = 33
    [PRE A: Level] = 66
    [PRE A: Bright] = Off
    [PRE A: Gain SW] = Middle
    [SOLO: On/Off] = Off
    [SOLO: Level] = 50
    [SPKR A: Speaker Type] = 2x12"
    [SPKR A: Mic Type] = CND451
    [SPKR A: Mic Dis.] = On Mic
    [SPKR A: Mic Pos.] = 6 cm
    [SPKR A: Mic Level] = 0
    [SPKR A: Direct Mix] = 100
    [PRE A Custom: Custom Type] = Crunch
    [PRE A Custom: Bottom] = 3
    [PRE A Custom: Edge] = 4
    [PRE A Custom: nul] = 0
    [PRE A Custom: Pre Low] = 18
    [PRE A Custom: Pre High] = 12
    [PRE A Custom: Character] = 50
    [SPKR A Custom: Spkr size] = 12 "
    [SPKR A Custom: Color Low] = 0
    [SPKR A Custom: Color High] = 0
    [SPKR A Custom: Speakers] = x4
    [SPKR A Custom: Cabinet back] = open

and another patch

Wed 23. Jan 09:09:37 2013
    Boss GT-100 Complete Patch Summary
    a list of all parameters with-in this patch.

Patch name = Crunch Bass

Patch Mode Output Select = JC-120

**********Signal Chain**********
    Input --> [FX-1]-[Comp]-[Pedal/Wah]-[Dist/ODrive]-[Send/Return]-[A/B Divider]
    Channel A = [PreAmp A]-[N.Supp 1]-
    Channel B = [PreAmp B]-[N.Supp 2]-
    [A/B Mixer]-[EQ]-[Foot Vol]-[FX-2]-[Delay]-[Chorus]-[Accel]-[Reverb]-[USB]- -> L/R Output

**********Channel Mode***********
    [DIV: Mode] = Single
    [DIV: Channel] = Channel A
    [MIX: Mode] = Stereo
    [MIX: Balance] = Centre
    [MIX: Spread] = 0

**********Pre Amp A***********
    [PRE A: On/Off] = On
    [PRE A: Type] = Custom
    [PRE A: Gain] = 58
    [PRE A: T-Comp] = 4
    [PRE A: Bass] = 50
    [PRE A: Middle] = 40
    [PRE A: Treble] = 65
    [PRE A: Presence] = 33
    [PRE A: Level] = 48
    [PRE A: Bright] = Off
    [PRE A: Gain SW] = Middle
    [SOLO: On/Off] = Off
    [SOLO: Level] = 50
    [SPKR A: Speaker Type] = 2x12"
    [SPKR A: Mic Type] = CND451
    [SPKR A: Mic Dis.] = On Mic
    [SPKR A: Mic Pos.] = 6 cm
    [SPKR A: Mic Level] = 100
    [SPKR A: Direct Mix] = 0
    [PRE A Custom: Custom Type] = Crunch
    [PRE A Custom: Bottom] = 3
    [PRE A Custom: Edge] = 4
    [PRE A Custom: Pre Low] = 18
    [PRE A Custom: Pre High] = 12
    [PRE A Custom: Character] = 9
    [SPKR A Custom: Spkr size] = 12 "
    [SPKR A Custom: Color Low] = 0
    [SPKR A Custom: Color High] = 0
    [SPKR A Custom: Speakers] = x4
    [SPKR A Custom: Cabinet back] = open

16. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Is it possible to bypass the preamp section of the GT-100 and just use the effects?

17. gumtown

Yes just switch the preamps off.

18. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

The GT-100 got to be the best multi-fx processor + amp modeler out there. It blows my POD HD300 & M9 out of the water. The effects sound very natural unlike many of the Line 6 effects. the GT's Individual effects are as good as individual stomp boxes. Amp models are superb. Extremely easy to use. I haven't read a single page of the manual.

20. kevbethphx

kevbethphx

Thanks for the initial patch and the rave reviews of the GT100. I just bought the GT100 to replace the BP355 which I was pretty unhappy with.

If there is anyone out there that has a good patch for a nice Chorus sound or Fretless sound that would be appreciated.

Thursday cannot come soon enough!!

21. basslayer

basslayer Supporting Member

how is the pitch shifter on the gt 100? i also wanted to know if it was possible to add a second shifted pitch, up and octave and a 5th, giving a powerchord on a guitar sound doubling my bass on the unit.