1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Boss GT-10B (part 2)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gumtownbassman, Dec 22, 2011.

1. gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman Supporting Member

2. Ulsark_Rod

Ulsark_Rod

So I Can switch from my ToneHammer to the Boss Gt-10B preamps? That would be pretty nice!!! :eek:

Ok, so the Manual Mode is the answer for my idea of having "single Effects" on the Gt-10B..........or maybe I can edit patches that only have one or two effects and assign that to a "patch" pedal.........

I`m not totally sure bout this :confused: .............I would like to have a single effect on each 4 pedals and use Ctl1 adn Ctl2 to add or modify this effects

Please I`m confused!!! :oops:

and yeah!!! 200 Banks are a LOT of possibilities :smug:
  3. gnuv

gnuv

I'm glad you posted this because I was attempting to hook up my 10B to my RH450 the other day and it wasn't working... but if I'm reading this chain correctly then does this mean you have to use whatever your preamp output has to get to the FOH?
  4. stryfox

stryfox

I own 3 ibanez sound gears. All active pickups
    1996 sg800
    2002? Sg 405
    2008 sg1000 prestige.
    I have been playing with the gt10b for a few days now.
    I am having trobble getting good sounds from it with my prestige bass with bartonoli pickups. I tried playin with the input settings for bass #1,2&3 and it still sounds better with my other basses. Could these pickups just be to hot for the effects? Comments or suggestions?
    Thanks
  5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

You can pad the input gain under the system settings, for different basses. I had to do this recently with my new Clement. Helped a lot with getting good results from compression and amp settings. Did you also play with presence? This pedal is very flexible so I can imagine there's going to be a way for you to get it setup right.
  6. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

Is that option assignable to individual patches/pedals? Have been making duplicate patches with different preamp output levels to mimic this.
  7. mgalat

mgalat Supporting Member

hey, just recently hopped on the GT-10B bandwagon and am preparing myself for the initial pain of figuring it all out.

My plan is to use it in "manual mode" with Numbers 1-4 and ctrl1 assigned to various effects while ctrl2 is assigned to the send/rtrn loop (with an EHX BMS). I know that the idea has been thrown out there for having manual mode be controlled by the input of your bass, but my thought is that during times when I'm not playing I want to be able to switch effects on and off. Would it be better to just be in manual mode all the time? Is there a way I could flip between manual and patch mode for editing while in a live scenario?

Last question (for the moment), how do the rest of you guys use your set up live?
  8. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I run my GT10b in manual mode all the time for the very reason you described.

I keep one channel clean & use a FS-5U to switch between the channel with effects... this lets me turn on the effects I want then I just have the one pedal to turn on or off during the song.

I have Ctrl 2 assigned to toggle the effects loop.

I think you will like the GT10b ... its not that hard to figure out. Most of it is pretty obvious.
  9. TheBogart

TheBogart

I use my GT-10B in multiple forms. I use it for recording (usb into computer and as a soundcard). I use it in manual mode by using the 4 cable method, so i can use the preamp of my amp in the Fx chain. I connect my Sadowsky Outboard preamp in between my bass and the GT-10B, so i can drive the fx better.

The manual mode gives me an approach similar of a regular pedalboard. I can switch parameters on/off in the middle of a song. The amp simulators are very good, and a can use od, chorus, compressor etc.. using the pedals, like in a regular pedalboard.

This unit is amazing. The learning process is not complicated once you figure out the basic control of the GT-10B. And you can use in multiple ways. The best thing is that you now have 2 channels, one dry and one wet for example, and you can connect the xlr's out to the FOH and the output to your amp for a reference or you can use the stage monitor.

It's a learning process, and you will discover some true gems. Like de dinamic channel change. And the compressors are very cool.

And use the Gumtown's software! it works like a charm with the GT-10B

:)
  10. Mharris

Mharris

I just got a GT-10B a couple days ago and I'm getting familiar with it but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to Assign the Expression pedal so that when the Switch is on it will sweep the value of the OD/DS Drive.

I'd like to have the OD/DS on all the time but just be able to control the drive with the Expression Pedal.

Right now I can only figure out how to make the Exp Switch toggle OD/DS on/off.

I'm fairly certain what I'm trying to do is possible.

Suggestions?
  11. TheBogart

TheBogart

12. gumtownbassman

**********Assign 1***********

[On/Off] = On
    [Target] = OD: Drive
    [Min] = 0
    [Max] = 100
    [Source] = EXP1 PDL
    [Source Mode ] = Moment
    [Act Rng Lo] = 0
    [Act Rng Hi] = 127

anything with "variable sweep" the Source Mode needs to be "Moment", because "Toggle" will switch it from min to max only.

Make sure the assign is switched "on" too.
    The Target min/max settings set the Drive parameter boundaries, and the ACT Range Min/Max sets the amout of pedal movement the range operates over.
  13. TheBogart

TheBogart

This is why i love the 10B. We can do almost anything we want. And controling the amount of OD with the expression pedal is a nice thing.

Let's share more tips&tricks!
  14. Mharris

Mharris

Yea, this thing is seriously awesome!

I've noticed that this thing seems to sound way better played through an amp versus playing through headphones.

I'm playing through a 2004 Limited Edition Warwick FNA Jazzman > GK 1001rbii > Eden 410XLT.
  15. TheBogart

TheBogart

More power, more fun!

:)
  16. MrUsefulAlien

MrUsefulAlien Supporting Member

hey guys, i just got a GT-10B.
    the guy i bought it from sent it with a measly PSA-120S power supply. the cable was kind of craked/broken.
    I contacted boss/roland about it, they recommended the PSB-1U as a power supply.

Is it critical to have that one specifically? or are you folks getting by with something similar?
  17. gumtownbassman

That one is severly under sized, it provides 500mA, the GT-10B draws 600mA, and the proper adapter supplies 2000mA.
    It will eventually fry the power adapter, any 9volt DC adapter will do, as long as it can provide atleast 1~2amps continuous, and you don't get the polarity reversed and blow the GT-10B.
    I would stick with the recommended type.
  18. MrUsefulAlien

MrUsefulAlien Supporting Member

thanks gumtown, i read your post and immediately proceeded to buy the recommended adapter.
    I knew something was fishy when i saw that puny power adapter....i had a GT6B, and that thing had a hefty power adapter...so thanks for confirming my suspicion and for the sound advice. :)
  19. Mharris

Mharris

Question:

I'm having a difficult time figuring how to to separate the Expression Pedal Switch from the Expression Pedal itself.

I want the expression pedal movement to control my direct level on a reverb effect while the Switch is ON, and to only control the volume when the switch is off. Right now I can only figure out how to have it control volume when then switch is ON and OFF. BUT it's also controlling my direct level when the switch is on, but that's not doing me any good because it's also turning down the volume.

So at this point I have it set so that when I press down on the EXP SW it turns reverb on and as I move my heel down it starts to cut the direct level. So far so good. But as soon as I set the Expression pedal to control volume when the SW is off, it starts to control volume whether the switch is ON or not..

I hope this is clear enough..

What I want is to figure how to make the sweep on the Expression pedal control do one thing while the switch is off, then something completely different once it's turned on..
  20. mcbassdude

mcbassdude

Noobe here. Just got a GT-10B and have been tinkering.
    Using the 4cm. Turned on the S/R. Question What do the different S/R settings i.e. normal, mix and branch do? Can't find any documentation on this. May seem obvious to some but not the feeble minded.