BOSS GT-10B, thoughts, opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongostealth, Dec 12, 2012.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I've really been gasing for one of these lately. At this point, I would use it mostly as a practice tool as I'm not gigging.

Any opinions on the usefulness of this pedal?

Also, is there a connection for an aux input? I would want to use this to play along with my iPod, just as I currently do with my headphone amp.
  2. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I Had a GT6B & a GT10B .... both are very good & the GT10b is configurable beyond comprehension almost. I gigged with the GT10b for a year & liked it but in the end I didn't love it & went to back to stomp boxes.

I still miss it for some things though.
  3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I really love mine. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. At first I felt like I couldn't dial in the OD/distortion that I wanted, but eventually I found it. Lots of amazing control and different things you can do.

Insert standard disclaimer here about multis vs. dedicated stompboxes, digital vs. analog, etc. But I think it's a very powerful unit with many good sounds.
  4. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

I've got a GT-10b at the moment and it's very cool.
    BUT!! Is it a full on device & will take you quite a while to sus out everything it can do. It seems you can do it all from setting your eq, what preamp you want, what effects you want on, what position in the chain you want effects placed and so on, and so on.
    Heaps of the sounds are quite usable, and some I'm not sure what you could ever use them for in a live or song situation, but it's pretty fun just playing with them.
    You can creat your own sounds pretty easily and also tweak the preset sounds. You can then categorise your sounds as well. I am still a wee way off from mastering it and finding things out all the time. Youtube has some info in it also.
    I think stomp boxes are easier to turn on & off and tweak on the go, but you can creat just a chorus patch, just a flange patch etc as well as a mix of them all. There is probably a better way to do this as well, I probably just haven't learned it yet.
    I am pretty sure there is an aux input, there are a heap, maybe check online for the manual, I just haven't used it myself.

So yeah, I like mine, very cool, tuner is really handy on it as well, but be prepaired to have to sit with a while & really nut it out. Or, just use the mega amount of preset sounds.

Let me know how you get on if you get it.
  5. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

I've been using one as my only effects processor for about four years, and it's been great. For the last three years I've had it set up in manual mode, with individual switches for each effect, plus one for delay tap tempo (vital for gigs and rehearsals) and one for the tuner. It sounds great, IF you tweak your effects properly, and as mentioned the flexibility is such that you can set it up to do whatever you want.

Individual pedals are simpler and quicker to tweak, and don't depend on being set "just right" to sound good, but they cost more and require a more "engineered" pedalboard to be set up easily. The GT-10B is a dream for gigs 'cause it sets up as fast as a pedalboard possibly could, and doesn't take up that much space. For bedroom use though it's overkill. You don't need every effect known to man at your fingertips when you're PRACTISING, and in fact simpler is better for that.

I just got a Boss TU-88 for practising at home, I suggest you check it out. It's quite cheap considering how many features it has, and it's the simplest practice aid I've seen yet. I was going to drop the dough for the BR-90, but that thing is expensive and all the different drum patterns and sounds just aren't that necessary. The TU-88 has a tuner (mic-fed or direct line), a metronome, and a headphone amp with a good amount of volume. That's all you need for practising. All the effects in the GT-10B are likely to become a distraction, unless of course your practice routine consists of playing around with effects.

Oh, and yes, there is an auxiliary input on the back of it. It's a 3.5mm jack too, so you can just use a standard 3.5mm cable to connect an mp3 player, etc.
  6. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong ... I still think the GT10b is amazing .... I just have more fun with pedals .... swapping & trying different ones ... its an addiction!

Building pedals boards is addictive also :)

Yeah the GT10b is prob overkill for practice but think of how fun it will be :)
  7. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

8. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

Oh yea, pedals are great, it's just that these days I'd rather fluff around with new techniques or practise reading music, if I'm going to practise anything music-related at home. I guess I've adjusted to my inherent laziness so that when I do practise, I only work on myself. But that's after I've spent hours tweaking gear and learning how to get what I want out of something quickly, and you do only get to that point through lots of experimentation and playing.

To set it, first you've got to put it in manual mode. I hate using these things with presets because it takes longer to program in the long run, and you get a lot less flexbility. Problem is, the two "Ctrl" switches and the expression pedal have their functions tied to the patch you're on, so you'll have to remember to set those switches for every patch you intend to use (but that shouldn't be an issue because you won't need many patches). In manual mode, you can set the function of each individual pedal (1-4), so that's where you decide what effects you want on THOSE switches. So switches 1-4 are master settings, where as Control 1, 2, and Expression are set for each patch.

When setting the functions for any switch, just scroll through everything that's in the list of options. Usually towards the back of the list are the miscellaneous things, such as tuner and tap tempo, so you just set the switch in question to that as oppose to an effect. Tap tempo seemingly can't be applied to anything except delay, and it applies to all the delays in the unit, which includes the "Sub Delay" in the FX-1 and FX-2 sections, though test that because I may be wrong (i.e. it may only apply to the main delay section).

I also have one switch set to cycle through the patches in each bank, as I have two different settings for the expression pedal on alternating patches, so it effectively switches between those two modes (not that I ever use the whammy mode, but it's good for scaring people sometimes). In manual mode, you can also set the bank up/down switches to whatever you want, so if you only want to use one patch you can have a total of eight footswitches set to different effects/functions, plus the expression pedal. I personally have left them as bank switches, mainly because I just don't need anything more.
  9. firmlybassed

firmlybassed

Love the GT-10B. I use it with a VT-Bass Deluxe in the effects loop on its own chain. Then I mix in effects in manual mode in the other chain. Works great use it live all the time. Takes a bit of getting use to but once you decide how you want to use it either as stomp boxes "manual mode" or patch mode then tweaking is all that is left. I play in a classic rock cover band and sometimes when we add a song that needs a special bass tone or effect I have it covered and don't need to buy another pedal. I do however have a killer stomp box pedal board too.
  10. Steele Taylor

Steele Taylor

I recently have a problem with distortion when I use my GT10 B for recording.There's a slight distortion bleeding through and I've tried everything to loose it.DOES ANYONE ELSE EVER HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM?
  11. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

So I finally got one of these! Man, the tweakability on this and all of the variety of options are insane! Any thoughts on how to even BEGIN scratching the surface?? It's almost discouraging as to how much this thing can be tweaked, because to me it means that i have to spend A LOT of time with this thing.
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have a GT-6B in a cardboard box full of effects - it’s really nice, however I rarely use effects. PS: no stereo aux input for MP3 player, etc on the GT-6B.