Boss LS-2 Opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GuzBaas, Feb 22, 2012.

1. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

I'm loking for a cheap Blend pedal which does just that BLEND. For the money the Boss seems like a perfect choice...(I dont like Boss BTW)

Is there any reason for not buying the boss? my personal concern is about loosing TONE... is the boss a tone sucking pedal?

Please give your opinions... why not the boss? other options in the same price range? should I save more money and buy a more "expensive" blend pedal?

thanks!

2. kevteop

kevteop

The Boss buffers aren't too bad in terms of tone-suck, and the LS-2 is a really useful pedal to have. I only sold mine because I needed a switching method that it doesn't offer.

I'd say go ahead and get one, if it does what you want.

3. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

All blenders suck tone?

4. bassbrad

bassbrad

It is a good and useful pedal that has an acceptable bypass, that's why you see so many in use. As a blended loop pedal it works fine with separate controls for wet and dry. I got one to use as a 2 channel mixer but it wasn't so great for that. It is on my synth board with en EHX BMS in the loop, much better bypass and i can blend dry signal in.
    On my main board i am using a Rocktron TruLoop for my efx loop and i really like it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alec

alec

Its a fantastic pedal. I don't notice any tone suck. The only downside IMO is that you can't turn the A and B channels on and off individually. I'm upgrading to a Wounded Paw Blender V4 for that reason.

7. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

That's a DRAW BACK... I have to rethink now...

Thanks to all!!

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Maybe Im having a senior moment but, what do you mean you cant turn off A and B individually? It has a A > B > off so you can choose either channel individually. Or if you are blending, A+B>off and then use the knobs to adjust your levels. Maybe Im not understanding what you are trying to say so I could be wrong lol

9. moles

moles

What he's saying is that you can't set up two separate loops, that are blended with dry, and select between them. OR another thing it *can't* do, and which I ultimately needed it to, was have two parallel loops going, with the option to turn either one off, while keeping the effects in the other active. You can select between A/B/Bypass as you said, but a) that particular mode is a PITA sometimes if you need to cycle through a loop you don't want to get the one you do, and b) none of them are blended with dry in that mode.

I had the LS-2 for awhile, and for what it did, it did well. The buffer sounded fine - better than just about everything else I had on my board at the time.

10. jucas

jucas

I love mine.

If I could only have one pedal, it'd be an LS-2.

11. JP Morin

JP Morin

I use one and like it... to know what it can do go on the Boss web site you can download the manual for a quick study...

I didn't notice much change in my sound at all using the LS-2 on or off, BUT I noticed that my sansamp prog. BDDI react a bit different to the signal if it is placed after the LS-2 in my chain. (cuz of the buffer I guess, the sansamp seems to be reactive to different impedance ( big difference in the sound between active vs passive pickups as example)) I prefer the sansamp before...

I use it as a blend knob for my turbo rat...

12. JP Morin

JP Morin

lol just curious, what would you do with just an LS-2 ???

the only things I could see would be using it as an on/off switch or may be buffering a bass to plug in your computer (using it as a DI)... lol

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    One of the best pedals that boss could have put out.

I had two at one point,...but for my purposes,...one is all I need.

14. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

waoo, thanks for all the feedback! TB you're the best!

15. mjl9787

mjl9787

Mine is very noisy, but I don't notice any tone suck.

16. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Noise? what kind of noise? switching noise?

17. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    My setup is hella quiet,...like noticeably quieter than it used to be.

I've used mine as a blend in the past and it serves that purpose just fine.

Currently running A<->B. This is a link to my setup and explanation in the PYPB thread:

PYPB 36:36 Post#202

I do wish BOSS would maybe come out with a Twin version Line Selector that would allow for independent switching of A and B. Currently the only way around that (in a setting up effects loop context) is to have two of these guys.

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

I used one for over a year, then one day played without it, and I couldn't believe the guts in my tone. I was happy with my tone for that year with it, but once it was gone my tone was definitely better.

It is NOT true-bypass. I even checked the schematic. It is NOT as a fact.

Whether it is that noticeable to you is for you and you alone to determine. For me, my tone was definitely ballsier with it 100% removed from the signal chain. Others might not notice....

I went with a custom two channel loooper with a blend knob, and am much happier.

19. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    TBP doesn't necessarily equate to clearer tone. ;)

EDIT: To clarify,...I'm not saying that you are wrong about the LS-2 being buffered. All BOSS Compact pedals are buffered. I'm also not saying that your tone may be more pleasing to you not using the LS-2 as a blend. What I am saying is that there is likely some other factor contributing to your tone being more pleasing to you outside of removing the LS-2 from your chain. Perhaps you inadvertently removed a ground loop,...or you signal path is shortened to limit the natural capacitance that long cable runs have.

For my signal chain,...the main bass signal is very short,....Bass->LS-2->TU-2->Amp. I essentially have a buffer at the beginning and the end of my signal chain. I would go so far as to say that my tone is "ballsier" than it was when I was running a more traditional one pedal after the other signal chain. In my current pedal board configuration my rig is noticeably quieter than it was in previous iterations. While I wasn't considering the possible tone improvement while redoing my pedal board this is a happy accident that I'm quite excited about.

YMMV

:)

20. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

I own a LS-2. Great pedal. No noise. Bam.

I also own a Wounded Paw Super Blender. Even greater.

For the money a LS-2 will serve you VERY well.

21. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

I got mine a few weeks ago to blend clean with my overdrive and distortion pedals. its a dream come true, fills out the sound great. LOVE the LS-2, considering another one for instrument switching.