Boss LS-2 splitting + Morley ABY rejoining?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JasonD74, Jan 6, 2013.

1. JasonD74

JasonD74

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm not new to using effects, but I've never done any splitting / rejoining in my signal path. Right now, I run a single path from my bass through my effects to my amp, but with certain effects (like distortion), my tone suffers.

I want to split my signal with each path having a separate volume control so that I can have my clean tone on (A) and my effects on (B).

I know the LS-2 gets lots of good reviews here. Does anyone have any experience with the Morley ABY as a 2-in / 1-out box?

If not, what pedal would you recommend to rejoin my signals before going into my amp? Thanks!
  2. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

My understanding is that the LS-2 splits, rejoins and sets the blend volume, rendering the Morley unnecessary (don;t have one, but probably will soon).
  3. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Yes, set the Boss LS2 to Bypass+Loop A or B and run your effects through the loop, you can then use the two knobs to adjust the amount of clean tone vs effects coming out.

You shouldn't need the Morely ABY.
  4. JasonD74

JasonD74

I thought the LS-2 could be used to either split or rejoin, but not both simultaneously.

It can rejoin signals it splits? I've read elsewhere that people had split their signals with one LS-2 and rejoined them with a second LS-2.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JasonD74

JasonD74

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize the LS-2 could do that. Like I said, I'd seen other examples where people rejoined with a second LS-2 (wastefully, I'm guessing now).

I'll just go with a single LS-2.
  7. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    The Boss is an active mixer, and the Morley is basically a passive switch. This means that the signal coming from each source will be pushing directly on each other, leading to a wide array of problems that are much less likely to occur on the LS-2. Passive mixing can work, but getting it to work well is not nearly as reliable.

On top of that the LS-2 can be used a bunch of ways other than just a mixer.

The LS-2 is a little more expensive, but its capabilities more than make up for the price difference, IMO.

EDIT::: Routing of the LS2 would go:

Bass > LS2 input > LS2 output > amp. then
    SendA > effect chain A > ReturnA
    SendB > effect chain B > Return B

It splits the input into SendA and SendB and then mixes ReturnA and ReturnB into the output.
  8. JasonD74

JasonD74

Thanks. Quick question: since I'm going to have A clean with effects on B, would I just run a single cable from SendA -> ReturnA with nothing between them?
  9. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

You shouldn't even need to have the cable between the A send/receive; if no cable is present, it automatically makes the connection internally...it defaults to a clean channel.
  10. JasonD74

JasonD74

Cool. Thanks again!