1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Boss LS2 tone Loss?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HugoBazZ, Jan 20, 2014.

1. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Hey guys
    I've been searching a little bit of info on the ls2 and it seems like people are happy about it!

For me, it seems to be the cheapest way to connect my main board and my second board and still be able to cut the second board at any time! :)
    But my question is this: how is the bypass on the ls2? Will it kill my tone or does the buffer hold up? :) I don't want it to kill my tone because I'm pretty happy with it at the moment :)
  2. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I notice a little tiny bit of high end loss but it is high end and only a tiny bit so I don't care about it.
  3. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Do you feel that it removes some of the bass's organic feel?
  4. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Nope. I pretty much never play clean though. I played a little clean the other day and got compliments on how good my clean sound was though so I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm talking about a barely noticeable amount of high end. If I wasn't trying to hear the difference I probably wouldn't notice it.
  5. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    The buffer on the LS-2 (and pretty much all BOSS pedals built in the last couple of decades) is actually pretty good! There's not an appreciable change when using a BOSS pedal between my passive basses tone straight-in to an amp/di or when using a bypassed pedal.

When I start adding more than 3 or 4 BOSS buffers in series, I start to hear slight changes though. Nothing 'earth shattering', but enough where I can hear it and it bugs me.

Keep in mind that there's probably more things messing with your signal than the LS-2 in the multi-board setup you're running! ;-)

BOSS buffers are some of the better ones out there in consumer grade equipment. I doubt most people would hear any significant difference adding a BOSS pedal or two!
  6. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

Weird, I have completely opposite experiences. I found all Boss pedals to suck out some tone and/or dynamics so I stopped using them altogether. That being said, putting something between your bass and amp is never gonna sound exactly the same, no matter what hardware bypass they're selling you. The differences are minor in most cases and for the given effect most people accept a bit of tone loss. Most people won't hear it because they never A/B it, they hear your sound and if that sounds good, you're okay.
  7. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

I haven't had any issues at all with mine. But I also have my ls2 in another buffered wet/clean blender.
  8. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I've had 2 LS2's .... the buffer does not tone suck.
  9. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Great that's was all I wanted to hear!

I know that all pedals, cables and so on effect the tone! My tone isn't all that organic as direct in the amp, but I've gotten it to a point where I thinks it's okay :) so I'm glad to hear the the ls2 isn't the big tone vampire ;) I actually think that if the buffer I great, it might help my tone a little bit, but who knows :b
    Thx a lot guys! :)
  10. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

I have no complaints with my LS-2. It's an excellent and extremely versatile pedal that has no negative side in my opinion. I've used true bypass loopers and prefer the Boss. Works great to balance the output of multiple instruments, too.
  11. kevteop

kevteop

I was using an LS-2 for a couple of years to mix two lines of effects but in the end I replaced it with a custom box with super clean buffers in it. The LS-2 is not at all bad for the money but it does degrade your signal a bit. Depending on the sounds you use it may be less noticeable but it does make a difference.
  12. metaball

metaball

no issues with mine either. i was worried about phase issues as i'm using it to stack 2 dirt pedals in parallel. Badger Schism was the more expensive finalist i was looking at (it has phase flip options). but i had no problems so i stuck w/ the LS-2

some other A-B-Y-Mix pedal options
    Xotic X-Blender
    Pigtronix Keymaster
    Dwarfcraft Loop Mangler
    Loopbone
    Audible Disease Puchi Mixer PM-1
    Morley FX Blender
    Lehe ABY
    Radial JX2
    FEA 2 Channel Mixer
    Badger Schism
    Wounded Paw Blender
    Loopmaster Passive Micro Mixer
  13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

You can add OneControl to the list, they make a couple of small blender pedals

I haven't noticed any tone suck to speak of from the LS-2 either, and I like a full range sound with some highs.
  14. noermaen

noermaen Supporting Member

yeah if the LS-2 had a phase switch it would be the absolut winner. I use it to blend with a Rat Clone (Brown Rabbit) and it sounds good to me. I really don't know if the setup has a phase issue or not...
    To the OP: I also don't hear a noticable tone loss.
  15. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

some other A-B-Y-Mix pedal options
    Xotic X-Blender
    Pigtronix Keymaster
    Dwarfcraft Loop Mangler
    Loopbone
    Audible Disease Puchi Mixer PM-1
    Morley FX Blender
    Lehe ABY
    Radial JX2
    FEA 2 Channel Mixer
    Badger Schism
    Wounded Paw Blender
    Loopmaster Passive Micro Mixer[/QUOTE]

But are anyone of these cheaper then the ls2? (I know im lazy xD )
  16. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Don't forget the sfx S&M
  17. metaball

metaball

not when i was shopping a year ago. which is why i figured it was worth a shot.
  18. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Atm i can get a used Ls2 for about 50bucks :)
  19. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

In my experience phase is "usually" not an issue until you parallel blend multiple channels .... "usually"
  20. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I think it depends on the pedal. I have an MXR Bass Overdrive that flips the phase. It's not an issue until you parallel blend it and a whole lotta lows cancel out! I think another MXR I used to own did the same thing...