Boss ME 50B question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheOxRocks, Dec 2, 2013.

1. TheOxRocks

TheOxRocks

Is it advisable/desirable to plug the output of this unit into the effects return of a Carvin BX1500, and plug my bass into the amp rather than the effects box?

Or did I just ask one of the all-time dumb questions?

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Not if the pedal has a "drive" or "distortion" in it, which it looks like yours does. Effects loops don't do well with that and wah wah type effects in my experience.

3. shenanigans

shenanigans

I did this for a while with an ME50B and a Carvin R600. It worked ok when my pre out wasn't too hot of a signal. When I went from a passive bass to an active one the clipping started whenever I hit the bass hard.

My reasoning for doing it was to eliminate the gawd awful switching lag between bypass and engaged modes. It worked pretty well for that with my crappy passive squier, not so good with my Schecter Stiletto Elite 5.

If this is the reason you want the unit in your effects loop, I suggest a true bypass looper or equivalent.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

No you did not. Common question. :)

There are two reasons to use an effects loop. One, they generally put out "line level" signal, which is hotter than "instrument level signal". In general, pedals are designed to work best with instrument level signal, where rack effects are designed for line level.

Two, using an effects loop means that now your effects are after your preamp. If you use the preamp stage of your amplifier to get an overdriven sound, any effects pedals you're using end up before your overdrive. If you wanted to add, say, a modulation effect after the overdriven preamp, you'd need to put it in the effects loop.

5. Register to disable this ad