Boss ML-2 Metal Core or MT-2 Metal Zone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kromwarp, May 1, 2010.

1. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Disclosures:
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I'm looking for a heavier distortion, I've had a little experience with the ML-2 and really liked it, just wondering if you can dial in heavier distortion with the MT-2's EQ section

2. somegeezer

somegeezer

I have the Metal Zone and it's brilliant. If you're into guitar distortion. It has loads of different ways to distort it, from a slight growl to a full on fuzz. The EQ section is great too. wide range. But again... if you are looking for the low bass then you need to get yourself a bass distortion, not a guitar distortion.

3. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Disclosures:
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I have the ODB-3, but I'm not really satisfied with it. It just kind of gets lost, and feeds back like crazy. The Metal Core really seemed to hold the low end well, but I havent gotten the chance to test a Metal Zone

4. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Try a Keeley MT-2. It has more lows, a more natural EQ curve, and a lot of the noise associated with Boss pedals is gone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thunderscreech

Thunderscreech

I did a demon vid on these two. As I recall, the Metal Zone was a little better, due to semi-parametric mids. I'd do a Kelly Modded one if I were to get one again.

7. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

I have an MT-2 from back in the day. I tried using it and anytime I kicked it on I would drop completely out of the mix. IMO almost every od/dist/fuzz needs a clean blend to be usefull on bass in a rockband setting.

8. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

If you're willing to branch out a little from Boss, I recommend you try out the Landmine LD-1. It is the best metal distortion I have ever tried. When you have the bass turned up above 3:00, it just absolutely brutal, crushing distortion. Way more brutal than either Boss, and yes I've tried them both. Of the two Boss pedals, I liked the MT-2 better.

9. odin70

odin70

Metal Muff sounds really great on bass.

10. Bulldog

Bulldog

I used the MT-2 quite a bit when I played guitar, and it is a really, really biting, kinda harsh distortion pedal. Excellent for tight thrash style riffing. I could never get it to sound good on bass, though. Bottom just falls out completely.

11. bellrach

bellrach

anybody tried putting EHX The Mole or other Bass Booster with it?

How does it sound?

12. knumbskull

knumbskull

Metal Zone sounds good and has great EQ but loses lows on bass. Can't comment on the modded version but it sounds ideal ;)

Or go clean blend. Slightly regret selling my Metal Zone without trying this...

13. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Honestly, I'd go with an older HM-2.

14. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I play around with my guitar pedals (I have 15!) on my bass. You sometimes get some crazy results. Recently I have been using my Boss Blues Driver when we play "Bobby McGee" and it makes my P-Bass sound perfectly distorted and overdriven! Kind of like an old bass through a raggedy old amp!

Just play around with stuff because the tone you're looking for are all around you!

15. metaball

metaball

i had an MT-2 around for many years. to me it was unusable stock. too hissy & noisy. i got the monte allums mod done on it & the hiss/hum went away completely, gain took a huge boost, harmonics & growl appeared out of the sludge. then the old bandmate who left it behind came by & took it back. i highly reccommend getting the mod done if you have one.

i think there are much better options reccommended here if yer buying new though.

16. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Wow, two and a half years later, and I still completely stand by what I said. For metal distortion, nothing has ever come close to the Landmine for huge heavy gain

17. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I've recently came across a clip of the boss ml-2 metal core demonstrated on bass. it actually not too bad on bass. it does seem to have pretty solid heavy sound. it probably would sound more awesome with a blender pedal like the boss ls-2. anywho, here's the clip.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12048607