Boss OC 2 and OC-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Nov 17, 2012.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Is there something that makes the OC 2 better than the 3? Was about to buy the 3 and I noticed on eBay that people seem to generally have the OC 2 priced higher.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

OC-2 is analog.
  3. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

1- there are OC-2's that were built in other countries (Indonesia? viet-nam? don't remember exactly) and some say that the sound and the tracking is not as efficient as japanese ones. The OC-3... the sound seems not there :meh:

2- you can't find now some of the components used in japanese OC-2. So all the DIY schemes you can find anywhere won't solve the problem.

3- so you can imagine why there's a "hype" over vintage japanese OC-2, ask Janek Gwizdala, he'll surely confirm "those" thoughts... he's buying many japanese OC-2 as he can find on the net.

Now... that said, there's an alternative, the markbass octaver, based upon the same philosophy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGOSq9oMW0
  4. jmceachern36

So it's the MIJ oc2. Interesting. How can I tell they're MIJ? .. I do like the synthy sound they produce. Well the ones I hear on YouTube. Now I have to check out the Markbass. Thanks for the info.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe, GigRig, COG Effects
    I have a Jap and a Taiwan version. I have played these things to death and can find NO difference in tracking, output, tone... Anything.

The OC3 sounds very different. It's a fine Octave pedal, but it lacks the synthy tone of the OC2. It's a little more natural sounding like many modern Octaves. The OC3's '-2 Octave' mode is supposed to emulate the OC2 tone but it doesn't do a good enough job for it to be a worthwhile replacement.
  7. jmceachern36

I actually own a Micro Pog already and I'm really looking for that synth thing so I think the OC2 is what I'm looking for. I'd hold out for an MIJ if it made that much of a difference.
  8. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

I love oc-2, well worth the $10 I paid for it...
  9. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

some things to check:
    underneath, the "made in japan" sticker
    [​IMG]

The very first ones were named "octaver" and not "octave", and they are all from japan:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... and some color variations, some knows the difference between them only by checking the color: dark brown to very light brown
  10. jmceachern36

Nice! I'll double your invetment is you want to unload it.:D
  11. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Too late sorry :D !! I sold mine many years ago... thinking of buying another octaver indeed, and he MB is on my list, the sound and the tracking suits me, as the OC-2-look and functions too... well... if you can live with a caterpillar yellow box :bag:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    No difference I can tell between MIJ and MIT OC-2 pedals. I have both the OC-2 and the OC-3 on one of my pedalboards. Why? The OC-2 sounds better, but the OC-3 (Guitar input, POLY mode) tracks better. With the range turned down you can even slap with it.
  14. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Someone on here made a video comparing the Japan and Taiwanese OC-2, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it -
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some of the Taiwan OC-2's have leftover Japanese PCB's. I happen to have one of them. I paid $50 for it. Awesome!
  16. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Totally right ! most (and I don't say: ALL ... ok ?) of the components were exactly the same according a friend of mine building his own mods, pedals, etc.... an electronics killer. And he told me also that he could easily build an OC-2 clone, but some previous components are not manufactured for now: no amp op or the specific VCA they used in japanese pedals.

Always according to him, taiwanese or japanese sound = apples and oranges :D, poor tracking for both (OC-3 is better), so....

I'm not saying they are crap pedals, of course not !! I'm just saying: please guys ! like.... Janek Gwizdala, stop that hype, cos' it's a total nonsense :rolleyes:, and there's alternative nowadays, really sounding alternatives.... as the Markbass Octaver....

Ask Aris Voliotis there if you need more infos: http://www.facebook.com/RadikalAudio
  17. jmceachern36

Thanks for the link. Doesn't seem like there a big difference in the sound. I ended up getting a nice price on an oc2 from a friend and it turns out it was made in Japan.
  18. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nice price = no hype = nice guy !! Glad you finally found your grail ;)
  19. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I found a 30 year old MIJ OC-2 on ebay for a nice price a few years ago. I like it just fine. No basis for comparison though with MIT/OC-3 versions.

With your MIJ OC-2 Be aware of the Boss ACA/PSA powering wonkiness.

source: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726

If your OC-2 is MIJ there is a good chance that you will need to run it at 12v unregulated ASA powersupply or in a daisy chain with another PSA powered pedal for the circuit to get full power (as laid out in the linked article).

My solution is using one of the "ACA" outputs on a Voodoo labs PPII+ with the dip switch switched to 12v as opposed to "normal".
  20. jmceachern36

I just plugged it in with a one spot and it seemed to work fine.
  21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My Taiwan OC2 with the Japanese PCB also works with a 1spot.