Boss OC-2: DI>PA Question!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darren R, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Darren R

Darren R

Hey guys,

I tried searching for an answer on this but couldn't find anything. Apologies if there's already a thread discussing this.. if there is please point me there!

I'm playing a show this Saturday, doing some hip hop and funk tunes. Many of the songs I'll be using the Boss OC-2 to get that synthy bass tone and to hit the lower notes my 4 stringer can't hit.

My setup for the show will be quite simple: Fender bass>Boss Tu-2>EBS Multicomp> Boss OC-2.

I can almost garauntee that the soundman will likely DI me. Will the OC-2 still sound the same going through DI into the PA? My sound for this gig heavily relies on that pedal and if it can't come across through the PA I'm basically sh*t out of luck..

In your opinion, will I need to request him to mic the amp? In my experience most soundmen don't prefer this but I want to make sure that my oc-2 tone comes through the PA sounding good. I don't think there will be a ton of time soundchecking as this is an "indy night" show with at least 4 other bands and we are not headlining it or anything.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated! Sorry if it's a "noob" question.

Thanks guys :)
  2. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

Been using an oc-2 for 6 years. The OC-2 sounds excellent through front of house. We do a lot of hip-hop and I use it to death. Depending on the mix it can really shake the subs. You'll love it. When doing your soundcheck make sure to give the engineer a taste of it so he/she knows its coming.

edit: the oc-2 actually sounds better when going to the board as opposed to mic'ing, imho. It can be kind of rough on the speakers depending on what cab you are using, and you might not want the sound of your speakers taking a beating going to the mains. I switch between 2 sealed cabs....an Ampeg 810 and a Berg NV215, both sealed, and the oc-2 is pretty hard on both. Love it though.
  3. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    exactly my experience as well - octaves often sound better di'ed.
    When i run a DI rig, i run my octave through a bass xciter. I get an immense sub rumble :)
  4. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    DI!!!! It rules. Bass amps are monitors and fun for the first few rows...

Yes to the subs.

J
  5. Darren R

Darren R

Hey John,

I'm honoured to get a response from you, really respect you and dig your playing! Thanks! Do you have any settings that you think would be ideal for a hip-hop bass tone that won't get too muddy in the mix with keys, drums and guitar? I guess I worry that having the direct knob turned down even though it sounds awesome may end up with me being "felt" as opposed to "heard".. which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing.. I'm using a P bass chromes btw.

Thanks for all the responses guys! You've put my mind at ease for this show. :hyper:
  6. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    It really depends on how good the PA is and how good the arrangements are. A little light dirt after the oc2 can give more definition sometimes, too.

J