Boss Oc-2 Octave tricks

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Who's wants to talk Boss OC-2? I know Janek does some interesting stuff over in his forum along with a Tc Helicon Nova Delay and Scott Devine has some great YouTube vids out the on his rig that uses one along with a Boss NS-2 Line Selector, a bass synth of some kind, and a Moog Low Pass Filter.

I've been running mine as such:

Markbass compressore -> Boss Oc-2 octave -> Mxr Bass Fuzz -> Danelectro Daddyo (missing from photo) -> Boss Bf-2 flanger

The daddy-o works especially well with the flanger, and a slow rate gives a really nice shimmer to the distorted octave tone, making for a deep convincing synth tone.

I also like the Boss over brands with latch switches such as EBS because I can "pedal dance" very easily on it, meaning I can turn it on and off for one note repeatedly.

I'll upload some soundclips if anyone is interested.

I love my OC-2!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360129333.372001.jpg
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What I like about the OC-2 is you can get a synthy sound with the lower octave and very little of the tracking baggage associated with pedal synths. Throw some OD and envelope on top of it to really make it synthy. Flanger and phase is pretty killer with it, too.
  3. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

I use my OC-2 much in the way JimmyM described with OD and envelope filter.

I have it, the Bad Monkey and the DOD FX25B in the effected loop of the LS-2 so that I can use any
    combination of the three together and turn on and off with one tap.

[​IMG]
  4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have some fun OC-2 sounds on my general sound clips page (see sig). Try slamming the front end of the OC-2 with a huge volume boost to force it to clip for a different sound. Or trying the "synth mod" for a really different sound.

Also, most pitch tracking effects can follow the OC-2 signal really well. So it's great for taking a downstream effect down 1 octave, such as a synth effect that doesn't have built-in octave-down control natively.
  5. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Ooh, I like this idea cause it is easy for me to do with my current setup. I can hit it with my compressor with the volume and/or gain maxed and then I can roll my distortions or visual volume to a predicable place.
  6. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Try adding a delay after the pedal as that might make your mind explode with ideas. Chorus is cool and so is distortion effects as they really do some crazy things.
  7. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

Does anybody use an EHX Freeze with their octave pedal? That sounds synthy as hell. The long note tracking on the OC-2 is a flaw, so this is one pedal I'd like.

One of these days I'm gonna get into modding and reboxing pedals so that I can add momentary functions to all of my fav pedals, including the OC-2.