1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Boss OC-3 vs. EHX Micro POG

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monkeybass68, Dec 31, 2013.

1. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

I own the OC-3 but have been considering selling it & getting the Micro POG or even having a local guy build an octave up & down pedal for me. Any thoughts, recommendations, statements, condemnations, reviews, reports, etc.? :smug:
  2. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Those are both digital peals so they will track better than any Analog pedals. Whether you prefer the sound or not is the only thought.

I just recently got an Octave multiplexer from EHX, I've had a BOD by MXR and a Boss OC2 and they all sound way better than my Micropog for Octave down.

I use the Micropog almost exclusively for the octave up with a phaser or an envelope filter. It tracks flawlessly but it can sound a little sterile by itself.

Just like any effects use it all depends on context. How you plan to use it and if it can provide the sound YOU want. Try the cheaper ones first. A lot of people prefer the sound of the Oc2 and the Multiplexers and they only pay $50 bucks for them used. YMMV
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OC-3 is actually analog, bro. Agreed about the Micro Pog, though. I use it almost exclusively for octave up when I need to simulate an 8 string, and my OC-2 gets the down octave. Not that the Micro Pog sounds horrible on low octave, but it is definitely thinner and more "stringy" sounding than the OC-2/OC-3's big fat synthy sound, and that's the octave down sound for me. Love both, but the Micro Pog only gets used when I'm backing an act like the Crystals because it helps a smaller band build up that Phil Spector "wall of sound" by sounding like an 8-string bass. It's not identical to an 8 string, of course, but I used to have an 8-string and it's close enough to where I sold it.
  4. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

Hmm. I was certain that since the OC3 is a polyphonic octave pedal, like the micro "pog" it wasn't an analog pedal. My bad. Regardless the OC2 gets all the love around here the OC3 not so much.
  5. monkeybass68

Very good info guys, very helpful, thnx! Those were exactly the things I was curious about. Sounds like I have to expand my pedal board :)
  6. monkeybass68

Oh and Happy New Years my bass brothas!!!
  7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

8. GreggBummer

GreggBummer

The OC-3 is pretty underrated. It tracks well. Sounds good when mixed to taste. I love the polyphonic mode. I use it with bass occasionally.

Where it shines, its in my effects chain for keyboard. :bag:

I prefer it over the micro POG, but more because I don't like how the micro POG is set up. I see the POG and OC-3 as equals.

If the OC-3 is digital, it doesn't sound or behave that way.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, the OC-3 sounds like an analog octaver to me, too. However, looking around the net, it seems the general consensus is that it's digital, so I stand corrected.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I always saw the OC-3 as slightly less good than the the OC-2 and after reading you guys, I"m gradually changing my mind and will definitely give this pedal more consideration.
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I dug the OC3 but when I had a POG, I thought it sounded TONS better as far as tracking and clarity. But some people dont want their octave to sound that digital, which is what the POG is, a digital polyphonic octave generator. Of ALL the pedals Ive gotten over the last year, the POG is the one that I regret flipping. If I could reverse that trade I would, but I cant. In short, if you want a flawless tracking octave that does sound quite digital yet does what its suppose to do extremely well, go with the POG. If you want a darker more glitchy octave that performs alright go with the OC3. If you go with a Boss octave, I would try to grab an OC2 over the 3, I did. Im happy. I still wish I had my POG back though, that pedal is pretty amazes balls.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well just bear in mind, though, that I've played the OC-3 and while I suppose i would have been happy with it, I got an OC-2 ;)
  13. GreggBummer

GreggBummer

Is the OC-2 manufactured anymore?
  14. gregmon79

Not to my knowledge. There are tons available on the used market though.
  15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Production stopped in Sept 2003, according to Boss archives.
  16. monkeybass68

So, I ended up grabbing a used Micro POG last week & I'm very happy with it! The up octave is a li'l synthy sounding, but with a li'l overdrive added, it gets a li'l closer to a gtr sound. Still has tons of applications for what I'm doing & I really like the octave down on it as well.
    Thanks again for all the input guys!!!
    :bassist:
  17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I love my Micro POG, it tracks flawlessly as low as I wanna go (of course as long as the cab can duplicate it). I had the OC-2 and hated it, tracked awful. I also had a EBS and it was decent, but didn't track anywhere near a low nor sound as cool as the POG. The octave up and down of the Micro POG just sounds so much cooler.
  18. gregmon79

I had a POG. Sold it and got an OC2. I do like my OC2. But I miss my POG. A lot. If I could id have both on my board. OC2 for certain dark synthy tones and the POG for stuff where I would want to combine it with fuzz or dirt. And yes, the POG tracks flawlessly compared to the OC2. But the glitchy way of the OC2 is part of it's charm and IMO is one of the reasons you see them on tons of boards. Seems to be either the POG or the OC2 most times. I will have a POG again one day.
  19. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I'll take a micropog over a OC2 any day!
    I like the OC2's sound but the bad tracking ... no make that horrible tracking make it nearly useless in my book or at best it has very limited usablity.
    I've had a couple OC2's over the years & it surprizes me that they are so popular on TB.