Boss OC2 vs. OC3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 15, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've jammed on the OC2 for a little bit in the store before, but just wondering how much different (if anything, really) the OC3 is, as it's dedicated bass input has me wondering.

Any thoughts??

2. Pöl

Pöl

The OC-2 is a great pedal for a great price! I've got one, and it took me a while to get used to, but once you figure out you shouldn't do much playing below the low A, you're set!
    Works for me!

I've tried the OC-3, and I totally disliked it, and this is why:
    -no noticable improvement of tracking compared to the OC2
    -it's digital, so there's a small delay when switching it on
    -it's 30% more money than the oc-2
    -the drive feature sounds like s***

my two cents,

try 'em both out, don't listen to me!!

Laterz

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Disclosures:

Interesting. :) I just really need something that'll provide me with kind of a "sub dub" sound that my parametric EQ used to do, mainly for 2 or 3 songs, but they're big covers and we always do them, so I need that sound big time. I'll prolly pick up the OC2 then.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Tip:
    If you put a little compression ahead of an OC2 they track a LOT better!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Disclosures:
    What about a bass with a not too strong preamp? My 4-string has a pretty laid-back preamp, whereas my 6'er definitely has more sizzle to it.

7. Paul A

Paul A

Should be fine, I've seen people with Stingrays use them!

8. floydbass

floydbass

how much is the OC-2? Im interested in using it for guitar.

9. andrewd

andrewd

the OC-2 was around a hundred bucks new IIRC, and is now discontinued so should be too much

10. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun

the bass input handles the low frequencies much better than the guitar input does

was the oc-2 the same as having just a guitar input? if so, that sucks for bassists

the poly mode sounds good on chords especially two note chords, the drive mode sounds great on guitar, i dont like it on bass

i got an mp3 of it if you want to hear the dedicated bass input, ran thru a line6 bass pod at http://runbeerrun2.tripod.com

11. LuvBottomEnd

LuvBottomEnd

Brand new to TB so I hope I'm doing this right. I have an OC-3 and having trouble dialing in a good bass synth sound with it. Need it for a couple of cover tunes. Heard OC-2 was better but I've got the OC-3....anybody have any setting suggestions?

12. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

The OC-3 reaaaally isn't that bad and in fact I chose it over the OC-2 because *in my experience* I've found it to track more reliably down to low A than the OC-3.

The OC-2 is iconic, I preferred the Aguilar Octamizer to it, but at the end of the day, Analog octaving wasn't for me. If you get an Oc-2 you won't be disappointed, unless if you expect it to be able to track super low like a keyboard, which no octaver can.

13. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I replaced my OC-2 with an OC-3 on my pedalboard. The tone of an OC-2 is better, but the OC-3 tracks much better with very little glitching, if any. I use the Guitar input, POLY mode, other knobs left to right are 12:00, 1:00, 11:00. I find that it reliably tracks down to a G. I can slap with the octave on because the upper snap and pops are filtered out with the range knob at 11:00-ish.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm finding the bass has a lot to do with how well they track. My P Lyte doesn't track on the OC-2 as well as my 76 Precision or my parts PJ.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

+ 1 000 ... clarity, definition of a note is done by its highs or high mids, so if the octaver doesn't receive enough of those frequencies inputs, it won't track....

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

By the way I had the issue with the same bass: old strings--> hard tracking, new strings--> tracking better, and ANY octaver may be subject to those variations.

17. EvilJekyll

EvilJekyll

I think the OC-3 is great in poly mode. I usually have the input around noon IIRC and the other two octaves around 1 or 2. I found that on my old head that the lower notes on the E string would often make the speaker fart though. :meh:

18. Joe Ricardo

Joe Ricardo

Well I would say OC-2 , every gig I use it at, people always come up and comment how cool it sounds!