Boss ODB-3 and farting speaker

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ipek, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Ipek

Ipek

Hi all,
    I may have a problem with my odb-3, or speaker, not sure.
    Maybe its not problem at all.
    I use EBS classic session 120 combo and when playing clean or with my chorus pedal it sounds wonderful.
    However with odb-3 I have some issues.
    If I only turn the gain know above 9-10 o'clock (on the pedal) the speaker starts to fart.
    I have found a few ways to avoid this issue.
    If I cut the bass on guitar eq (preamp?) there is no more farting.
    I can then turn bass knob on amp all the way up to get low end back and it sounds nice, no farting.
    Same story if I cut low mids in preamp, no more farting.
    Turning down volume on my bass also seams to work but I have to turn it really low (and it somehow changes how odb-3 sounds, I have to turn the knobs on pedal much more to get same lvl of distortion).

I'm total noob when it comes to technical stuff, but as for me it sounds, like the odb-3 can't handle signal from my bass and generates this farting unless I just cut down the signal from my bass (or leave the gain knob in pedal at low levels).

So the question is, should I by worried at all?
    Or just use the knobs and live with it?

And sorry for my English, I hope its understandable ;)
  2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Im sorry but your thread title made me LOL.
  3. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Might be too much low end making the speakers fart or it is could be too much lows hitting the pedal. There's no way to know for sure. But turn the knobs how you need to get the sound syou want.
  4. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

Sounds like the hotness of the pedal plus the hotness of your basses pickups (what bass are you running) is too much for the amp. This happens when I boost the EQ on my Spector Euro 5LX a little bit too much. The output is just too much and it over drives a little bit. Too much bass boost on the bass can result in farting speakers. A good simple solution to this is to lower the height of the pickups.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ipek

Ipek

I use ibanez sr955efm. Bartolini mk1 pickups and some kind of active electronics.

Doesn't help.

I will, it sounds really nice with overdrive off and I can still get some cool sound with overdrive.
    I just have to to cut low end from the signal before it hits pedal and then boost it on amp.
  7. miiitch

miiitch

well, to me that´s pretty much what most bass overdrive sounds like ... like ass :meh:
    it´s supposed to make it sound like a stinky load of gas leaving home

this causes your pedal not to clip the incoming signal (=> fart) anymore, because it´s not "loud" enough.
    the low end makes the biggest part of the signal.
    distorted lows sound like ass.
    you cut the lows, so the pedal reacts a lot more to mid freqs and clips them. this sounds a lot better to most

same, the signal´s not loud enough

:)
  8. ThisBass

ThisBass

Distortion effects boost the whole frequency band, even the content of subharmonics are boosted.
    Huge amount of subharmonics and lower frequencies are dangerous (if they are strong enough) to any kind of cabs .
    Distortion effects are able to do this.
  9. alec

alec

I'd take your bass and pedal to a shop and see if you get the same result with a big amp.
    Try some different pedals while you're there. I've never used an ODB-3 but many people here say it sounds crap unless you dial it in right.
  10. ThisBass

ThisBass

Dial with different distort. settings.
    lower settings are good, heavy settings are bad/farting.

No need to try anything else ...

I'd suggest much more cone surface ...
  11. yPractice?

yPractice?

Dude. Put a new battery in the pedal.
  12. Ipek

Ipek

Not battery, its brand new.

Yesterday I was with bass and pedal at shop.
    Tried it with combo that has 15" speaker (my has one 12") and a little bit more power and as it was harder to get this farting sound it was still possible.
    Dude at shop looked at me like I was crazy and told me that overdriving low end just sounds like fart ;)

So looks like its nothing to worry about, thanks for your suggestions and time thou.
  13. ThisBass

ThisBass

ODB-3 isn't my favorite at all.

But ODB-3 does not produce a "low end farting" ...

As you recognised there is a difference with different amps so the reason for farting can not be the ODB-3.