1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Boss ODB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fuzzyhead, Apr 13, 2014.

1. fuzzyhead

fuzzyhead

Hey, I'm wondering I'd the Boss ODB-3 is a good overdrive pedal. If not what do you recommend? Thanks

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    there are tons of threads on it in this forum. i'd do a search first. some people love 'em and others are not fond of them at all. that said, I didn't care for mine at all until I modded it.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I like mine, but I have replaced with something I like better. When I got mind it was probably the best budget OD but now I would definitely give one of those Joyo ODs a shot.

I never did get rid of my BOSS ODB-3 and I have thought about modding it many times. I was just never sure want to mod to do. What did you do johnk?

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I suggest you plug in Boss "ODB3" on Google and look for the talkbass chunk of results. I already started it for you:
    https://www.google.com/#q=boss odb3

Any pedal you want to look up, just plug it into Google and look for Talkbass section in the results pages. The Search button on this forum is quite annoying to work with - using Google is your best bet.

Most Samash stores and Guitar Center locations have this pedal for you to try out. It's mostly a heavily fuzzed distortion. It sounds like an awful mess to me. It scoops out the midrange drastically and I feel the sound of the instrument is COMPLETELY lost when using this pedal. One of the first few pedal I owned and I do not miss it. Traditional overdirve with this pedal? No way, unless you like it massively filthy. :spit:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I got rid of the fizzy top end and lowered the amount of gain for the fuzz so I could use it as an overdrive.

totallyfrozen likes this.
  7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I found it to be very noisy, especially when combined with other pedals. All of the excess noise was a deal breaker for me. I know a lot of people love it, though.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

It's a terrible overdrive.

But it's an awesome high gain, rip-roaring, snarling, booming, distortion/fuzz!

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

What did you physically do to it? Do you have a reference guide you followed or did you do it yourself? I cannot follow the guide personally, but if I can bring him the info he can make it happen.

10. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    i didn't follow a guide. i just modded it myself. IIRC, i experimented with different clipping diodes (i think i used green leds) and some of the filters. it's been a while since i modded it and unfortunately i didn't document what i did. i'd have to get it out and open it up to see what i changed in it, but i actually like it and find it useable now.

11. DiabolusInMusic

Dang, oh well. Looks my B3k doesn't need to sweat. Haha.

12. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I think it would be very hard for an ODB-3 to make a B3K sweat, haha.

13. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I dunno about that. IMO, my modded one sounds better than the B3K that I had.

14. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I'd love to hear clips. My B3K gives me the top-end grind that is necessary for the tone I like. The only pedal that came close was the Rusty Box, but I didn't like something about its' mids with my Ric.

The "fizz" some people complain about on a B3K sounds a lot like a brighter Orange amp's overdrive to me.

15. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

Before I had an eq pedal I found it nice for a Bass boost pedal. I didn't care for the dirt in the box very much. There are much better OD pedals to be had.

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

John, if you ever do figure out what tweaks you did, I'd love to see what you came up with! Mine is modded as well. I replaced some poor quality caps, upped the voltage cap, changed the diode in D4 to an LED, removed the diode in D9 and replaced the clipping LED in D3 with a three way switch between the stock LED, nothing, and a different diode (maybe a 4002? I'd have to open mine up).

SO much better, smoothed out the annoying top end, better bass response and all around it just feels more girthy and more like an OD, less like a fuzz box. All for about three dollars in parts, some Googling and an afternoon with my breadboard.

Also, John, is there a sonic difference between LED colors? I guess I've never tried that, which is strange, haha. I always just use red because that part drawer has been full for years, haha.

17. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    greens have a higher forward voltage than reds so they are less compressed and clip less.

18. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    funny, I don't care for my rusty box at all. it's way too bright and way too middy sounding to me. and, IMO its distortion is awful sounding (to me, it sounds like a solid state amp clipping, and in a bad way). I know that there are a lot of people that love 'em, and that's great, but it's just not my cup of tea at all.

i'll try to dig my modded ODB-3 out and post a quick clip of it. mine doesn't sound much like the stock pedal at all anymore.

19. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

That would be cool, but I feel better knowing the Rusty/Traynor S.S. overdrive isn't your thing.

I guess I just love the grungy, clanky bass attack of bands like Shellac. :)

20. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Interesting, thanks John, I'll have to try them out next time I'm messing around with a circuit!

21. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    here's a quick clip of my modded ODB-3.
    it consists of a p bass thru an ST900/2x15 cab recorded with a zoom h4n.
    the first part is bypassed, then all of the dirt settings have NO clean blend mixed in with min drive, 3:00 drive, 12:00, 9:00 drive and max drive. the concentric eq knobs are at noon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014