1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BOSS TU-3 tuning a half tone to high

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kiiaan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Kiiaan

Kiiaan

i have a problem with my boss tu-3 tuner... when i tune one of the strings in E my tuner said F and it's driving me crazy.:spit: why dos it that and what can i do so it tunes correctly.

sorry my english :rolleyes:
  2. wshines1892

wshines1892

It's probably calibrated incorrectly. It should be calibrated to 440hz for standard pitch. I also understand that the TU3 has tuning modes where it changes its calibration so that you can drop or raise your tuning while still thinking in E.
  3. Riff1forme

Riff1forme

The TU-3 is reading two or three cents too high. Can't find anything on their website for calibration. Anyone? (kind of a bump)
  4. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

What other tuner are you using that's telling you its not right?
  5. Riff1forme

Riff1forme

Peterson strobe tuner as well as an iphone app for the TC Electronics Polytune as well as a Korg DT-10.
  6. Riff1forme

Riff1forme

Thank you very much for the reply, by the way!
  7. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Id contact Boss and ask about swapping it out under warranty. I use the same tuner and love it.
  8. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I only use it in the chromatic mode though. It seems slower and jumps around too much on strobe mode
  9. Riff1forme

Riff1forme

Yes, I like the chromatic mode as well. I will. Or, I may take it back to where I bought it less than a month ago. Thank you again!
  10. Riff1forme

Riff1forme

Also, so as not to discourage anyone from buying a TU-3, the Peterson is a PITA and the Korg is slower. I played with the new Korg Pitchblack Poly and it is VERY difficult to see in the sun and the display is annoying to me.
  11. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I've heard good things about the pitchblack, but never used one. let us know how the return goes.
  12. Riff1forme

Riff1forme

Bellevue American Music - they won't blink!
  13. Riff1forme

Riff1forme

Thank you again, Lowactnstsfctn! (Cool handle, btw!)
  14. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Thanks. Is Bellevue in Tennessee?
  15. Riff1forme

Riff1forme

I WISH! Very interesting you'd ask! I'm from the Tennessee Valley (north Alabama) but am in the Seattle, Washington area for work. Hate it here, miss there! Bellevue American Music is in Bellevue, Washington. They are awesome folks. Reese (owner), Jim (mangager), Johnny (guitar and bass guru - of Culprit and Stonebender fame), Nick (lighting), Phil (keyboards), and on and on are all really great people that know their stuff. I swore off GC and the like a while ago. I'd rather pay a few more bucks and deal with good people that know their stuff than save a buck and be given a sales pitch from someone that doesn't know the difference in bass strings and guitar strings. They're just strings for a guitar, right? No, friend, they aren't....
  16. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

i guess there is a Bellevue in every state. Seattle is a cool town. My Girlfriend and I were in Puaylup (spelling?) a few months back for a wedding, seemed like a cool place to live.

It bothers me when the salemen dont know the products they are pushing. Like when you say,
    " Im looking for really Bright strings"
    Salesman " Have you tried the Boomers?"
    Me " I mean bright, like Hi beams bright, like Blue steels bright"
    Salesman " Oh, than you want these" points to Boomers again
    Me " um.... Dude, don't talk to me anymore" and walks off
  17. FJBass82

FJBass82

My TU-3 is doing the same thing. Just noticed it today, and I bought it a month ago. I have a Peavey Max 115 II combo amp with a built-in chromatic tuner (although for some reason the signal's not getting through from the G and D strings, but it picks up the A and E strings fine).

Anyway, the tuner on the Peavey amp shows the E string being in tune just fine as E, as it should, but the TU-3 is showing that my E string is in tune as F.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with a defective tuner. I called Guitar Center where I bought it and they'd never heard of a TU-3 doing this. They said to bring it in so they can look at it and give me a new one.
  18. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Are you sure you didn't change the reference pitch?

From the manual:

I would try following the reset procedure in the manual before doing anything else: