Boss VF-1 for chorus, octaver and filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Michaluis, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Michaluis

Michaluis

Hi, I have found a used Boss VF-1 for sale for a great price and am wondering if it would be a good option to use primarily for chorus, octaver and filter in the fx loop of my amp. Any VF-1 user can give me a little :help: ?

Thanks

Michael

2. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Bryan R. Tyler had one for a long time and said it was great. Sound clips I've heard bear that out, but I have no direct experience with it. To control it live will require outboard gear unless you plan on doing a set and forget setup per song.

3. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Good modulation and the filter is decent. I don't recall the octave effect being particularly good. There's also a bunch of other great effects in there - delay, other modulation, and decent synth though it's limited on the bass. Check out my page in my signature I have a bunch of VF-1 patches and sound clips.

4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Oh yeah, you CAN control it with a simple 1 or 2 button footswitch such as the BOSS FS or something similar. One for master bypass, the other assigned to some change within the patch or for tap tempo or whatever you want. It's not that dissimilar to most BOSS multi effects such as the GT series. Just in rack form, older, and less assigns.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Michaluis

Michaluis

Thank you guys, I'll do some research then :)

7. drewfx

drewfx

I'm almost certain it's the exact same algorithms as all the other Boss digital units of its era.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    I think that to this day it's still one of the best budget multieffects out there. The amp sims/distortions are not great, but with a lot of tweaking you can get a good 80s metal guitar with them. The modulations and delays as gastric mentioned are where it shines.

And hey- there's a real bitcrusher ;)