1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BOSSA 5 string bass OB-J w/2 sets of p/u and elec.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by road-cat1, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. road-cat1

road-cat1 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

It is time to thin out the basses that I have not played in years and so it comes to the DROP DEAD GORGEOUS Bossa 5 string bass that was custom made for me.
    While I was touring in Asia with a Broadway show, I met the luthier Toshio Setozaki. I had him make a 5 string bass for me with :

* 5A Exhibition Quilted Maple Top and Back
    * Light Ash body, with semi-hollow option (which makes it ridiculously lightweight as well)
    * Jazz width nut and thinner than jazz front to back profile
    * maple fingerboard with abalone markers
    * Brass nut
    * Gotoh tuners and Wilkinson bridge
    *Top of the line Bossa electronics package and pickups

It is a TRUE lightweight at 8.8 pounds and as close to MINT as you could get.

I toured with this bass for a couple of years and since I was sitting in an orchestra pit, there really is no signs of wear. While this bass has bass, mid and treble boost/cut, I wanted more flexibility to WHERE the midrange is being boosted. I had a great luthier in the US install a BARTOLINI double coil humbucker in each position and installed the 3 band preamp with 3 position midrange choice. (I believe it is 250, 500, and 800). I also requested a pull knob (on volume) to go to single coil pickups to get a true "jazz bass" sound. I wanted it all!

You will get 2 sets of pickups and electronics. The proprietary BOSSA hand built pickups and electronics can be re-installed by any competent luthier.....but I think that you will LOVE this combination.

This bass would cost over $3,500 and the Bartolini p/s and electronics is worth another $250-300. I will include a gig bag as no hard case came with the bass.
    With my apologees to "RUMBLEFISHER" for using some of his links....hope it is OK with you :)

This bass would cost you about $3600 today (with the lightweight option and 5A top, etc...gold hardware). While this brand is not widely known in USA, it is the level of SADOWSKY, PEDULLA, etc, in Asia.

I will sell this bass for $1650 delivered to your door in lower USA. For less than the cost of a used "Sadowsky Metro", you can get a $3600 bass!!!!

Some more info on these basses:

USA Distributor site:
    http://www.bossa-usa.com/

Home site (Toshio Setozaki's site in Japan, will need google translator unless you understand Japanese):
    http://www6.ocn.ne.jp/~bossa/

Slap:
    Real Bossa Design UJB-5 and vdrum TD12 - YouTube
  2. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    493   0   0

WOW, that looks like a fantastic bass for a great price!
  3. road-cat1

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

I have had 3 PM's since yesterday's posting with interest and questions. Thanks to all the TB'ers ....this is a really top line bass. To answer some of the questions as to scale, neck measurements, etc...

The scale length is 34" and I believe that the width at the nut is 1 3/4". I will measure the string spacing when I can get a ruler that shows mm later today. I am trying to use a regular inch ruler and that is not acurate enough. I also have a 5 string American Jazz Deluxe and I will comare the neck measurements to give you a relative description.

It is a REALLY comfortable neck to play. Not wide spaced and not cramped (for slap, etc..) I will do my best to measure it for you.
  4. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    168   0   0

19mm = 3/4"
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    181   0   0

You know I had to comment on this one....

For $1650, this thing will blow any comparable bass out of the water. I like the upgrades but the original proprietary pups / pre are no slouch, either. This is the best deal going at the moment.

GLWTS!

Riis
  6. road-cat1

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Payment Pending......
  7. road-cat1

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Payment received and SOLD!!!