BOSSA 5 string bass OB-J w/2 sets of p/u and elec.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by road-cat1, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. road-cat1

road-cat1 Supporting Member

It is time to thin out the basses that I have not played in years and so it comes to the DROP DEAD GORGEOUS Bossa 5 string bass that was custom made for me.
    While I was touring in Asia with a Broadway show, I met the luthier Toshio Setozaki. I had him make a 5 string bass for me with :

* 5A Exhibition Quilted Maple Top and Back
    * Light Ash body, with semi-hollow option (which makes it ridiculously lightweight as well)
    * Jazz width nut and thinner than jazz front to back profile
    * maple fingerboard with abalone markers
    * Brass nut
    * Gotoh tuners and Wilkinson bridge
    *Top of the line Bossa electronics package and pickups

It is a TRUE lightweight at 8.8 pounds and as close to MINT as you could get.

I toured with this bass for a couple of years and since I was sitting in an orchestra pit, there really is no signs of wear. While this bass has bass, mid and treble boost/cut, I wanted more flexibility to WHERE the midrange is being boosted. I had a great luthier in the US install a BARTOLINI double coil humbucker in each position and installed the 3 band preamp with 3 position midrange choice. (I believe it is 250, 500, and 800). I also requested a pull knob (on volume) to go to single coil pickups to get a true "jazz bass" sound. I wanted it all!

You will get 2 sets of pickups and electronics. The proprietary BOSSA hand built pickups and electronics can be re-installed by any competent luthier.....but I think that you will LOVE this combination.

This bass would cost over $3,500 and the Bartolini p/s and electronics is worth another $250-300. I will include a gig bag as no hard case came with the bass.
    With my apologees to "RUMBLEFISHER" for using some of his links....hope it is OK with you :)

This bass would cost you about $3600 today (with the lightweight option and 5A top, etc...gold hardware). While this brand is not widely known in USA, it is the level of SADOWSKY, PEDULLA, etc, in Asia.

I will sell this bass for $1650 delivered to your door in lower USA. For less than the cost of a used "Sadowsky Metro", you can get a $3600 bass!!!!

Some more info on these basses:

USA Distributor site:
    http://www.bossa-usa.com/

Home site (Toshio Setozaki's site in Japan, will need google translator unless you understand Japanese):
    http://www6.ocn.ne.jp/~bossa/

Slap:
    Real Bossa Design UJB-5 and vdrum TD12 - YouTube
  2. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

WOW, that looks like a fantastic bass for a great price!
  3. road-cat1

I have had 3 PM's since yesterday's posting with interest and questions. Thanks to all the TB'ers ....this is a really top line bass. To answer some of the questions as to scale, neck measurements, etc...

The scale length is 34" and I believe that the width at the nut is 1 3/4". I will measure the string spacing when I can get a ruler that shows mm later today. I am trying to use a regular inch ruler and that is not acurate enough. I also have a 5 string American Jazz Deluxe and I will comare the neck measurements to give you a relative description.

It is a REALLY comfortable neck to play. Not wide spaced and not cramped (for slap, etc..) I will do my best to measure it for you.
  4. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

19mm = 3/4"
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

You know I had to comment on this one....

For $1650, this thing will blow any comparable bass out of the water. I like the upgrades but the original proprietary pups / pre are no slouch, either. This is the best deal going at the moment.

GLWTS!

Riis
  7. road-cat1

Payment Pending......
  8. road-cat1

Payment received and SOLD!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.