1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bossa bass (Japan)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mukaiji, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Mukaiji

Mukaiji

Hello (my first post!)

I have a Bossa bass I picked up in Tokyo in 1996, but I have never seen anybody playing one in the US.

I know the guy in Japan is making them again recently, too...

Just curious if anybody play Bossa, what you think, etc.

Thanks!!
  2. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

3. Mukaiji

Mukaiji

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

Among my basses are 2 Bossa's. They're great basses. Excellent sound and build quality.

Here's their USA site. www.bossa-usa.com
  5. MotorMind

MotorMind

I have two Bossa OB-5 basses, 5-string, one fretted and one fretless. They're excellent and I play them a lot. They didn't come with that new pickup-switch, but their tonal possibilities are tremendous regardless.
  6. g00eY

g00eY

i like the OB body style.
  7. slavik141

slavik141

I have BOSSA OB5 it's very very nice guitar, i own this guitar 7years. sound, quality super!!!! I want buy one more BOSSA, if any body sale ,give me a know.
  8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Bossa are killer... I remember they used to do 25 frets on many of their models.
  9. Mukaiji

Mukaiji

Yes, mine has 25 frets. Don't get up there that much. :)
  10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

11. MotorMind

MotorMind

12. koyu

koyu

I play BOSSA 5-sting (w/High-C). You can see it in my videos at;
    www.youtube.com/koyubass

I hope it helps you to know about Bossa bass (I heard the company is now gone).
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

koyu, cool playing and creative use of beatbox, especially on the blues tunes.
  14. Shannon C.

Shannon C. Supporting Member

I believe I sold MotorMind his OBJ-6M... and I couldn't agree more, these are absolutely outstanding instruments! If only it had had one or two less strings, it would still be mine!
  15. kdoublebass

kdoublebass

I had a beautiful blonde 5str that was recently stolen.. That bass was AMAZING! got if from a guy for $700.. Best bass i'd ever owned! Hope i can get another one soon!
  16. fraz60

fraz60

I've been playing one since 98. I've been using it with David Byrne for the last 12 years. I have one of their guitars too but it's a righty and I'm lefty. Anyone want to buy it? it was also on the road with me with David.
  17. MotorMind

MotorMind

That was you? Well, thanks for selling it to me then! I had been looking for a six-string Bossa with a maple fingerboard for a while now, and now I had my chance.

I love this bass. The six strings don't pose a problem for me, since I have fairly big hands. I have been playing it almost exclusively since I got it, aside from my Chapman Stick and my fretless (also a Bossa).

And as for the rumors that Bossa is out of business: it's back now, and they even have a site for USA customers:

http://www.bossa-usa.com/
  18. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I saw Nate Watts rocking a Bossa. I think I have a picture somewhere. It was a beautiful blue/green burst.
  19. MotorMind

MotorMind

20. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

That's One way to EQ the bass, but certainly not representative of the tonal capabilities of a Bossa. And they can be a heck of a lot more growly than that.